Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage device for Sony TV

• 11-08-2024 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

What kind of storage device / memory card do I need to record from the TV.

Is the a ratio of GB/MB to hours?

I will only need it for very casual recording. I imagine 2 or 3 hours will cover me.

Do I need to format the drive / remove anything else from it?

Am I correct in saying the TV will only record from the aerial or satellite cable in and not something connected by HDMI?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A lot will depend on the age of the TV, some of the earlier models will only support smaller capacity storage devices. FAT32 formatting seems to work best with the older TV's. I'd try a USB stick of something around 128-256GB in capacity. Yes for recording from the TV it will be only via direct cable source coming in to it, anything coming in via HDMI would need a storage device connected to it to record.

Generally powered drives like WD Passport will not get enough power from the USB connection on the TV to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Grey123

From a google search it seems like it needs to be a HDD as opposed to SSD.

That would rule out you memory “stick” if I understand correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you any idea of the age of the tv? I've a Sony that's circa 12 years plus old and I've been able to use the thumb drives in it, I'd be thinking of something like this…

https://www.currys.i, e/products/samsung-fit-plus-usb-3.1-memory-stick-256-gb-silver-10245087.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I just use a 2tb hard drive from my H7S box as easier to setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Thats memtal money. You will get something on amazon for 15 or 20 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’ve a Sony xr 55a80j

A usb stick seems to work fine. Ref on tv says hdd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

An SSD will draw less power from the USB that a HDD and will be silent. A HDD will need an external power supply, the SSD may not. For sizing a rough rule of thumb is to allow 4Gb for every hour of HD recorded. A basic 120Gb drive would be plenty so that you don't have to immediately erase any content you wish to keep and reduces overall wear and tear on the SSD.

The first time you install the drive, the TV will probably ask you to "initialise" it. This will format the drive to suit the system and of course will erase any existing content from the drive.
    It is also quite possible that the content will be protected so it can only be accessed from the TV that recorded it and will not be transferable to another device.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Grey123

Thanks all, tried a ssd "memory stick" and it worked no problem. Won't use it often but its good to have. Baby was waking as the 4 by 400m race was starting the other day!

Advertisement