Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food allowance and other social welfare benefits

• 11-08-2024 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all.

My mam is past working age and times are tight. Her 11 year old dog is starting to pinch our pockets. Anyone know if the dog food allowance is still a thing? Small things like this would help. Very hard to find information online.

Also, I see some places in Dublin offer cheap vet services but I doubt such services exist in Munster?

My mam does not have insurance and it's probably too late to take one out with the dog needing surgery. I'd imagine it would be cheeky at this stage.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Dog food allowance? **** off. I hope I get banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There is no dog food allowance, there never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Stewball

The Department of Intergration is paying for the housing of pets belonging to Ukrainians, but as far as I'm aware there is no social welfare allowance for pet food.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/04/11/tanaiste-defends-states-payment-of-up-to-1m-a-month-for-ukrainian-pets/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Jesus Christ, try running that line anywhere but government tossing taxpayer money:

“Ireland was paying for them, but we do not know how much money was spent. Based on the number of pets in the country, which was seven times more than the Department of integration knew about, it could have been up to €1 million a month.”

we do not know, could have been €1m a month, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It should be 10r a week well it used to be anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Surely this is windup. Dog food allowance? What about cats. A friend of mine was on holidays recently and I fed her fish, can I claim that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

You can claim food allowance for slugs as well if eating your flowers.But not if hedgehogs are eating the slugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Deeec

If your mam is struggling with feeding and vetinary bills for the dog than its time to get rid of the dog. Unfortunately she cannot afford to have a dog.

You cant expect the taxpayer to fund your pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I wouldn't know about allowance OP, but try to ask near dog shelters, explain your situation and you might get some help or they might point you right direction. As for the surgery, talk to your vet, some vets will be ok to let you pay for more expensive things in installments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Or, rather than just "getting rid of" a dog they've owned and (presumably) loved for more than a decade, they could look into whether there are any supports available to help them keep the dog rather than just dumping it at the first sign of hassle. Y'know, like they're doing right here???

The OP is doing their best to help their mother keep a loved family pet. I have no idea why some of you on here seem so offended by that.

By all means, disagree with the concept of taxpayer money being used in whatever way, but there's no need to be so unpleasant about it.

I don't agree - if you can't afford a dog you can't have one or you sacrifice/save in other areas to cover the costs. Expecting the government to fund pet ownership is wrong.

I have a dog myself now but for years we couldn't afford one so we didn't get a dog until we could afford to take proper care of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only allowance for dog food is for guide dogs; and its not very much. And its a tax credit at that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Best option is to apply for an exceptional or additional needs payment from the local Community Welfare Officer. If she gets a payment, keep it aside for dog food each week. Btw, 6 cans of dog food are about 3.50 so it could just be a case of adjusting her finances a slight bit and the dog food will then be affordable. It doesn't have to be Pedigree Chum or one of them stupidly expensive brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what kind of dog food is she buying ?

try the dig on the Lidl stuff , about €10 a month

You could try getting in touch with these

and see if they have counterparts in Munster. Or she could use her free travel to bring the Dog up to Them.

Could you not help to contribute?.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

ask local butcher if they can help with off cuts

or butcher counter in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Good for you………….but circumstances change in people's lives….. they do not always have the same level of income, someone retires, a partner dies etc. Telling an older person to dump their pet at the already bursting doors of an animal rescue centre is just selfish and pushing the problem onto the rescue centre . These centres are run entirely on charitable donations! They are not Government funded. Have you ever supported any of these rescue centres by fund raising ?

Have you thought about the depression and loneliness this lady might suffer if she dumps her dog? Its by far the better solution to ask for some help to keep the dog and that is what the OP is doing here for his mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

As already commented, there is no allowance towards pet food, and there never was. That was a myth.

As regards reduced cost Veterinary Fees, contact the ISPCA to see if they have a mobile clinic in your area or can advise on a vet.

According to the link below, the mobile clinics in Dublin may not be operating at present, or accepting new clients.

Mobile Vet Clinic - DSPCA

Im sure she can still afford to keep the pet if she makes other small sacrifices.

Whats next - she may need a car to get around too but cant afford it. Does that mean the government should fund the tax, insurance and running costs that go with owning a car.

We all have limited income and we have to make choices on what we can afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Ironically, if someone is on low income, the State will sometimes help with unexpected expenditure such as a car repair, with a grant under the exceptional needs scheme.

However, I have never heard of a grant being made for veterinary costs.

OP, you could ask the vet if they will accept payment in instalments? Not all will be willing, but if you explain your mother's circumstances they might. (I know my vet allows it for regular clients).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭65535

Buy in as much bulk as you can.

Buy in Lidl/Aldi or other 'non- branded' dog food shops.

If you buy Pedigreee etc. then expect to pay Pedigree prices.

Dog pouches are good value - mix them with a ceral mixer to make them go further.

Feed the dog twice a day AND feed them when you are sitting down to eat.

I have 2 dogs and when we all sit at the table for dinner there is a plate there for them also.

With some training they will sit (on the floor obviously and not on a chair !) and they will take food from a fork when offered to them.

Then any leftovers should be fed to the dog first before you compost it - this further reduces the purchasing of dog food.

Feed them 2 slices of ham every night at the same time - ( the cheapest ham available in Lidl/Aldi/Tesco) - this can then be used as a way of giving them tablets and is a nice 'supper' for them.

If your dog is 11 years old then it is unlikely to be eating a lot of food.

If you are experiencing high vet bills then 'shop around' - the CSPCA in Mahon have a Vet next door (Goolds Vet) and they are reasonably priced - you can even defer payments with them.

There are also other good vets in the Blarney area that are more than willing to take staged payments.

Furthermore, If you dog is now a burden to you I personally will take the dog for you if you prefer.

I have looked after elderly dogs in the past and can offer them a good 'retirement home'.

PM me if that is your wish - thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JVince

You can clearly see the posters that don't have and never had a dog as a companion animal. I suggest you get one and see the joy they will bring to your life.

For the OP - maybe do a makeover of your mum's expenses. Usually there are many savings.

Does she have a TV subscription with sky? - does she have an expensive broadband subscription? - has she changed her electricity/gas supplier or negotiated a discount with her current supplier?

Look at all the regular expense including everyday expense such as food (one brand substitution) and see where there are savings.

Depending on the dog, you may be getting to an age where expensive surgery will only add a few months to life, so a question could be had there. Even if she had pet insurance, at age 11 they'd only cover about 25% and that's after a €300+ payment. Check a local animal rescue and see if they could put her in touch with a vet who would do the surgery at a low cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

What breed of dog is he, and what sort of surgery does he need, OP? Some breeds aren't expected to live much past 11 years anyway, so the surgery might just be an effort to extend life by a few months. This is not always worth doing and sometimes the nicest thing you can do for a pet is give them a few good days and say goodbye. Have a talk with the vet, explain you're not in a position to pay for very expensive treatment but you want the best for the dog.

On the other hand, if you have just found that the regular expenses such as food and meds are too much I would definitely agree with what others have said here. Look at doing something, anything, to cut back on costs elsewhere. A dog can be so important in an elderly person's life, to take that away unless you have to is a very big decision.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

We got our dog from the DSPCA and they gave us this big talk on adoption day about what to do if you experience difficulties with your pet. Their main ethos was, if you're having difficulties, contact them. They're main objective was to keep you and your dog together and working with you to achieve this. My very long winded point is that it might be worth giving the ISPCA a shout and talking it over with them. They may know of vets who have payment plans or ideas on how to manage expenses for elderly pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I agree re not having one if you can't afford it…is it expensive to euthanize a dog or maybe she could give it up for adoption if option 1 is to expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

To be fair, not getting one for years because you couldn't afford one and having one for 11 years that you could afford and *then* not being able to afford it are two completely different things. You're comparing not having an animal you were emotionally attached to to someone who has has had an animal for 11 years that they very much have a bond with. You don't just throw away a pet and then forget it existed. I'm not saying the government needs to have provisions for it, but I think your response was a bit uncaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Maybe you can go begging on your local high street, because even the homeless seem to be able to keep a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the pet is a long time companion, perhaps the family / OP should step up to the plate instead of looking for a state payment.

I know how important a pet is but expecting the taxpayer to fund it is not on - its just not. Im sure she can keep the dog by cutting back on something or family helping out. Expecting a dog food allowance from social welfare is laughable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement