Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming bull

• 11-08-2024 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭

I have a neighbour's bull that keeps coming into my heifers.

Electric fence myside never any problems.

He takes him out never acknowledging he came in and puts him back in same field to come over wall again.

What are my rights how do I handle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bring the bull into your yard and lock him in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The owner is responsible for the actions of his bull.. but as we all know there are some people who will sherk their responsibilities. As Whelan2 said, carefully put the bull into your yard lock the gate and make sure the owner has to contact you to get him back and tell him when he is coming to collect to bring enough Estimate to cover all the heifers in the field. Even if you don't use it make him get it for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

And just a word speaking from experience don't estrumate all the heifers at the same time if you are going to do it or there's a good chance the heifers will go roaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

if this is an ongoing issue you can contact the department and they sometimes step in if it’s bad enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

is it a breeding bull. Neighbour of mine has a few lads that go wandering. Other neighbour used to send them home minus balls and horns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Takes some kind of savage to treat an animal in that fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Dunedin

is the obvious thing not to go and have a direct, firm but fair chat with the farmer. Tell him very clearly that it’s simply not acceptable for his bull to roaming out to your farm.

If that doesn’t work, then it’s a slightly different chat on visit too , noting outrageous but agin in a firm way tell him that you’ll have no choice but to take things further if he doesn’t sort the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭1373

There's one or two in every parish . It's only when the animal disappears completely from the area do they come to life. The local bog is a good place to let off animals that break your heart. You need to be as shameless as the owners eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Actually got a call yesterday from a lad a good bit away missing 4 calves. They are normally never too far away.

Advertisement