Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Away Trip to Rome

• 12-08-2024 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at doing an away trip to Rome in March. Just me and one of the lads. Where do Most fans stay, eat, drink before and after the game. And would anyone have recommendations. on cheap and cheerful accommodation. We have a 10am flight back on the Sunday so thinking it would be a good idea to stay close enough to the Train station. Any hints tips greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've done Rome a few times, immediately before the game fans gather outside the stadium on the banks of the Tiber near Ponte Duca d'Aosta. There's food & drink available on the bridge and and the roadside. Just at the bridge there are steps overlooking the river and fans sit there and mingle.

There's also music, drinks& food inside the turnstiles.

For me, Rome do a fantastic job with their match day experience.

Afterwards, most people just seem to head back to bars near their own accommodation.

There's a tram to the stadium from Piazzale Flaminio which is near Piazza del Popolo (another spot where visiting fans meet up pre match)

After the match a lot of fans just walk back into the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭PMC83

Romes a great trip, I've also done it a few times. Lots of great restaurants around and weather is usually decent. If you are planning on checking out the other matches in pubs after the game, plan ahead. There's plenty of good bars around but not always as easy to find, it's not like coming out of Aviva and finding 3/4 within a stones throw.

I remember going to watch Italy V Scotland in Stadio Olimpico and rushing out to catch Ireland v England after, literally had to watch it through a pub doorway with 20 others, from out on the street. Generally speaking a lot of their bars would have more of a cafe vibe, lovely spots but not always great at catering to big swarms

Last time we stayed in a hotel right by Termini train station (was pretty basic / cheap but can't remember the name). Was super handy as you can get to the airport from there, match day we got a cab to the game and was only about 20 minutes away so didn't cost match. As mentioned above, lots of food music past the turn styles at the game, well worth going and hanging out if its Sunny. Way better experience then the aviva

Advertisement