Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford town and around - 48 hrs - recommendations?

• 12-08-2024 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭

Buddy and I are heading to Wexford for a few days next week.. looking forward to the trip - don't know the county at all except for hook head and that area..

So far, staying in Whites hotel, dinner booked for La Cote - thinking of visiting the saltee islands - and will visit Curracloe beach of course..

What else would ye locals recommend? In terms of eating, drinking and walks/hikes..?

We are hikers so love to walk - love nature - love seafood - and good food - don't have to be €€ just good local stuff.. don't wanna be driving too much.. and recommendations for pubs with trad? nice quaint old man kind of bars?

Also, would a walking tour be worth a shot? 90 mins I believe..

Any must sees? Selskar Abbey? Johnstown? Rosslare? Kilmore Quay?

I've done Hook Head and that area b4

Coming from Cork if thats relevant

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭CWMMC

Right you've alot of questions going on there at once. Whites is nice its central and close to the whole town from the door step. La Cote is nice if you want quality of food over quantity.

If you love nature and seafood I'd highly recommend visiting Kilmore Quay. Theres a chipper down there called the saltee chipper which has a high waiting time but the food is well worth it. Up in Kilmore village there is a restaurant called Mary Barrys, the food is nice but its expensive compared to other places in the area.

In regards to the trad, you just missed out on one of the busiest weeks for traditional music in Wexford, my best guess would be the John Barry which I believe have a tuesday night session or Sinnotts in Bishopswater on a Sunday morning. In regards to old man pubs there is one main one that jumps out at me and that would be the Pike Bar, other options are marys bar and the swan.

You could visit the quarry or forth mountain for a walk. Its a trail but its not really a hike more so of a walk but Its well advertised, other places are a little bit out of town but you have JFK and carrickbyrne hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Think the above poster has covered it but I'd also suggest Mackens (its only around the corner from the hotel) for a pint simply because its more unique than other bars in town. Its a right of passage to sit in the window with a pint and people watch.

If you are doing Curracloe I would suggest going down the entire Raven walk through the forest and back up the beach, you get the best of both then!

Make sure you get a rissole from the Premier chipper. Theres a pub across the road called Bugler Doyles and you can bring the food in, just beware that locals (i.e. me) may try and take your rissole :)

Advertisement