Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hedge for speed of growth and maintenance etc

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I never knew garden snobs existed till this thread! I'll never be able to look at my poor Griselinia the same way ever again now ☹️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

I'm a zealous native plant and hedge advocate and have many different species of native flora planted on my land over the years but the hedge outside my house is a griselinia simply for privacy, it grows fast, is dense enough not to to be seen through and gives great shelter from the westerly storms blowing in from the cliffs of moher in winter time, I'm not a huge fan of it but does what I need it to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I think you can. If it is overhanging the footpath I think you can be liable, though I don't actually know the legalities of it.

Hawthorn, useful article here

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/hawthorn/growing-guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

LOL definitely a plant snob here and I hate Griselinia with a vengeance, the colour is just so unnatural.

BUT if you live near the sea you have a good excuse to plant it as already mentioned by baxterooneydoody its one plant that will survive.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ilex Aquifolium

No leg

To the ground coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

my folks had a griselinia hedge when I was growing up (it's still there I think), if you want to build a plant wall quickly and cheaply it's probably the most efficient way to do it. I love the idea of having some or all of the species mentioned in the thread but realistically, in a town house or semi d suburbia it's going to be something more manageable.

It can't help that I've been looking at everyones hedges the last day or so when out and about, mostly privet :)

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The colour of a plant being described as unnatural.

Does not compute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭beachhead

You could be sued for injury or damages.Hedges should be cut back to your property boundary.Public liability clause of your house insurance should cover any claim if you're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I only started gardening two years ago after I bought a house and I am so nosy about looking in people's gardens now. I do compliment people if they are there when I pass by in case they just think I'm a weirdo. There are a lot of elderly people where I live and some of them come in when they see me planting/weeding to give me advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Me too, I've lived here for over twenty years but communicate more with people from the area over the last few owing to gardening. It's a great way to bring people together and everyone's always happy to share in it, gardening is good for the soul.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I never see Bay Leaf mentioned as a possible hedge. It has evergreen, no thorns, is 100% non see-through, and the branches are so dense, nothing can get through it - animals or burglars. Dark green leaves.

Apart from an annual clipping, it is maintenance free. Quite easy to maintain at your required height and width.

Robins, sparrows & blackbirds love it.

That's been my experience of it anyway.

Advertisement