Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new vodafone number now scammers ringing all ready

• 12-08-2024 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

just got a new vodafone numbers on saturday put into the phone withen 5 minutes i had ten calls from different numbers stating they missed call from me sunday 5 calls and today monday 20 calls stating the missed a call from me does any body have the same problem or is it just some one with a vodafone 087 number that gets these

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭65535

Everyone is a scammers target.

The scammers just make up a number at random - sometimes if it's a landline number they even get the number of digits incorrect - for example if it's a Dublin number they call from they might use 01-123456 and not a 7 digit 01 number.

If you get calls from others to say that they've missed your call then just explain that it was a scam call - we all get them now and are so used to them that we just ignore them.

They can buy a number and just spoof the CLI - to them it's just another number -

after a while I'm sure it'll not be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

You're just unlucky. Scam or spoofed calls are on the rise but you shouldn't expect to have as many as that in just 2/3 days. Vodafone customer care can change the number for you if you tell them you're getting inundated / harrassed with spam calls and they'll issue a new number. Changing the number can be done in seconds remotely by them but finding a Vodafone customer care agent able to do it on the spot might not be possible and they might have to log a ticket for you. Don't let them fob you off and say you need to go instore and buy a new sim card either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

I would have thought less likely with a new number. But they could just be randomly generating 087 numbers, and you were unlucky.

I've seen a new situation recently where two family members received spoofed text message, supposedly from each other within a minute or two: "call me". They were in the same room at the time.

I know there's a free text service to get someone to call you back, but this was unusual. But then, one person got a spoofed phone call from the other - the other person was not calling them. They didnt answer.

This seems like a new one? seems to suggest compromised phone contacts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Buffman

The scammers can ring any number from any spoofed number, highly unlikely you're being singled out.

All operators 'recycle' numbers as required, it's highly likely that your 'new' number is not 100% new, especially with 087s that have been on the go since the late 90s Eircell days.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bronkobilly

Thanks for all that information uncluding smart meters

• Advertisement
Advertisement