Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that make you sad?

• 12-08-2024 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,681 ✭✭✭✭

I was sorting through a box with my mother recently and we came across a christening gown.

It was used for my mother in 1961, my siblings in the 1980's and for myself in 1992.(She also leant it to a cousin in the 1980's).

She was very proud of it and sort of emotional.

It's sort of sad knowing it probaly won't be used again.

What are the trivial things that make you sad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

The adverts for Dairy Milk with the little kid paying in buttons; MasterChef Australia back tonight without Jock Zonfrillo; Ireland winning the Grand Slam two years on the spin and thinking about my dad not being here to see it.

Great idea for a thread btw x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Old buildings being demolished.

Sometimes it is necessary, I know that; or they were unsafe, or something else is getting built.

But I'm always a little sad for the stories of the people who lived and worked and played in them. Their history, demolished and bulldozed flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,681 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sometimes I look at houses on Google Street view and view them over the Years the Google car passed.

They can go from a house with an Avensis outside then they've a Yaris and the garden is good condition.

The house can go into a bit of disrepair.

Then it get's a new lease of life with modern windows, family cars and toys, etc in the garden.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

Halls Honey and Lemon sweets…my sadly departed Mother always had them in every bag and jacket pocket..she had a distinctive raspy cough, you always knew where she was sitting in the Church..

I kept some of her sweet wrappers in her old musical jewellery box that I have kept…

Feeling rather sad now, eventhough it's 10 short years since she had enough of us and left !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

That song Fireflies. It came on the radio the last time we were ever called to the hospital for my mum. She died while we were en route. To this day i still get very sad if i hear it.

Jaysus, even writing this has brought a tear and its over fifteen years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Airport departure area. Many people leaving may never be back. Always found it terribly sad.

And bus lane drivers. They've really started to depress me lately. Or maybe it's just the lack of policing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

On a similar note, the house thread in AH.

A house is sometimes featured that very clearly belonged to an older person. It might be in perfect condition, just old fashioned but have a bedroom set up downstairs in the living room, an adapted bathroom or grab rails etc., or it might be cluttered and in an advanced state of disrepair.

You know that the owner has more than likely passed away and no one had cleared their possessions before the EA took photos. I always find it sad and a little disrespectful. Grand if you're alive and have no qualms about showing how you live, but the owner might have been very houseproud until they could no longer manage the upkeep.

These houses tell a story of failing health, the physical decline that occurs with ageing and the death of the owner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Seeing people so thoroughly engrossed with their phones. There's a few people on my floor at work who can't even walk down a hallway without having their head buried in their social media.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement