Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone who knows about cars have any idea how much this will cost to replace?

• 12-08-2024 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I crashed into the side of a 2019 Ford Ka + 4 door see back door and under trim damage. Door was opening but catching. Anyone have a rough idea how much this is going to cost to repair without having to go through insurance?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

that is not worth repairing and if that was my car I wouldn’t accept a repair job either. Replacement is the only solution in my opinion. Could be anything between 2-3k I would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,421 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Replacement of a 2019 Ka for 2-3k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

for a door and other damage yes, what would you expect a replacement to cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's a serious hit & I worry what the damage could be the C pillar & lower sill. Can you take a photo with the door open?

It's going to be an expensive fix & worth going through insurance IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PaulyD123

Yes sorry I meant replacement and also the sil beneath I would imagine would have to be replaced. How much do you think for both plus the labour? Thanks for the quick replies guys. I can’t show any more pictures unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

if that was my car I would make it go through insurance, that won’t be cheap to fix.

It’s not mine that’s the problem but I am being given the option of not going through insurance. The driver will get back to me with a price in a couple of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,421 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh right. I see what you mean now. I'm not sure when the op said repair that that precluded a new door. Maybe they were hoping that could be beat out but I doubt it.

When you said replacement was the only option - I thought you were referring to the entire car.

Anyway nevermind

Sorry for my ignorance what is a c pillar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its the part of car where rear door latches onto.

• Advertisement

Are we talking 5k here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Gusser09

1-1.5k

Easier to replace than repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

SSomeone might explain it better than me, feel free.

TThe outer skin of the car is a thin sheet of pressed steel. The real deal in the car that gives the car structure and integrity in the event of a crash is a skeleton of bars called pillars.

TThe A and D pillars are front and back. B and C are in the center. Trust me you only learn about how a car really works when you are in a crash and insurance lawyers get involved. Its a nasty learning curve. Bangs and dents can easily be replaced by panel beaters but pillars damaged are usually a write off.

I dont have legal or mechanical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I think a c pillar is the upright structure that divides the front and back door. Structurally important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,472 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thats gonna be very expensive.
    5k could be close to the ballpark when you talk about respraying an entire door, fixing all the visible damage, could be some sub frame damage too

Does that car have side impact air bags? did any of them go off?

Are the window regulators damaged, you might need more than just the door shell
    Was the wheel hit by your car? Could be some suspension damage too.

Fair bit of paintwork to be done and matched, that all costs money

If you have any step back NCB protection on your insurance, I'd be going down that route TBH.

Thanks for the response I’m talking cost replacing everything new. They wont repair body damage

No the wheel wasn’t hit or airbags weren’t deployed. Not sure about window regulators I presume that’s electrical work what would that add? It was a fairly low speed crash I would estimate around 25-30km

yea what I am saying is if you crashed into my car and it looked like that I would be going through insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

I had a similar that went through insurance. Damage not close to as bad as yours. Replacement rear door and the. Just filling and spraying. 4K through insurance. No damage to the frames inside.

if they don’t want that bottom sill fixed and want it replaced, then that seems like it’s one piece from the bottom of the front door all the way around to top of the front door.

A new door also. And whatever/ if there Is damage underneath the panels.
    also rent a car while the car is being repaired.

Any scuffs on the alloy? Might want that replaced too.

I dunno if they will have to blend in the paint on the panels/ door either side of the newly painted ones too.

Won’t be any change out of 4k anyway , it would be a bit more than that I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Nux_BlackThumb

Dealt with a similar repair recently on - albeit a lexus, but it was nearly 9k all in, that's a fairly big repair there, honestly I'd forget about paying yourself and let insurance at it, and sit down before you look at the quotes that come back.

oh why is that? If they come back with a quote for repair work I can afford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Have you pm'd the mod in question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If that cill damage has creased the metal workof the inner structure, insurer wont get involved in a repair at all. They will simple pay out for the car and sell it on into the trade who can fix this relatively cheaply. Its the cheapest solution for them and less hire car costs to pay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭csirl

Not always. Wife was rear ended a few years ago. Assesor said it was an economic write off. But they did 8k in repairs on a car that was worth no more than 5k. I believe this was tactical in case of a PI claim - courts will pay out a lot more due to perception that a "write off" accident is more serious than one where the car was repaired.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing to do with disputing a ban or warning. Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

Brother had a door bang repaired recently to a 2019 Ford Focus in the main dealer. Less damage done to the door than in your case and no sill damage. No change out of 1.5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,270 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's very hard to guess how much that will cost to repair from looking at just one photo. It would be cheaper to replace that rear door than repair. The problem is it's impossible to accurately know from a photo what damage is done behind the sill and wheel arch.

You could be looking at a few grand there but ultimately the level of repair and associated cost will come down to what the other person is willing to accept to have it repaired. Second hand/spurious door/backstreet panel beater versus new parts/approved crash repair centre through insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Whocare

Big money repair plus hire car as I wouldn't be driving around in car that badly damaged till it be repaired 5 k in main stream bodyshop. Definitely a insurance job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I did similar damage on a 15 plate golf, not as bad as this but same area. Cost €2000 through insurance, they just replaced the entire door assembly.

Advertisement