Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating timber for outdoor use?

• 13-08-2024 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

HI

Project is a catio (cat enclosure)

I have a lot of timber on hand but it's untreated.

Obviously Treated woukd be better here.

But is there anything I could apply to get even a few years out of these timbers outside? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can. I use ProTim 265 which might be unavailable now (or reformulated).

Thing is, in ground contact everything will rot, treated or not, and without ground contact even untreated wood will last years.

As an example, I have some 70x70 section untreated timber which has been outside in the rain for about three years, but it's been sitting on top of a wall so it's still absolutely fine. I'm on the east coast so stuff will dry out.

So your best bet is to design it in such a way that (a) there's no wood in contact with the ground, and (b) wherever possible you stop water pooling on horizontal surfaces, particularly on end grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭monkeyactive

Thanks appreciate advice at very least il only let treated wood touch ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Shoog

Even in contact with the ground treated posts will last 20years or more.

Either build off treated posts or onto blocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pressure treated will last OK but DIY-treated will not. Also, if you're going to put pressure treated wood in/on the ground don't cut have any cut ends in contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭flyer_query

thats an interesting video, didnt expect those results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭monkeyactive

Can't seem to find that pro trim 264 , any other suggestions on a treatment chemical appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Stigura

I imagine someone will be right along, to say why this is 'wrong'. But, old engine oil.

Larrup it on. Give each coat as long as ye like, to soak in and dry. (Few days, under cover, or out in the light) Then, have at it again. And again! Three soaks in that stuff and it's black as pitch and ever more shall be.

I've used it for years. All over the place. Always keep some to hand. And, my mates eyes light up, when I ask for more! They're like; " How much??? ", in a voice filled with hope! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

Might not be very healthy for the cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Stigura

My chickens are fine with it 😐️ They live inside a Box, made of wood soaked in it. Birds have dreadfully vulnerable airways, as the Miners knew.

@monkeyactive Ye cats'd be fine. And, top marks for caring enough to do right 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

with cats, you'd run the possibility of them using the wood as a scratching post. so i'd be wary about any such treatments.

Advertisement