Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacists to prescribe prescription-only medications for common conditions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I'd trust the healthcare provided by my pharmacist more than any care I'd receive from a doctor at this stage. The IMO shouldn't be allowed to dictate health policy in this country.

However, Dr Denis McCauley, who is a GP in Co Donegal, said that a report commissioned by the UK parliament showed that patient care becomes "sub-optimal" when it is fragmented.

"The other thing is being able to prescribe for something isn't the same as being able to diagnose for a condition," he told RTÉ's Drivetime.

Patient care couldn't be any less fragmented in this country. Getting an appointment, let alone a diagnosis would be a fine thing ffs. I worked in a pharmacy years ago and the resident pharmacist predicted it would or should go this way as they were beginning to roll out the MAP through pharmacies at the time. (along with the fee for gmc prescriptions) The IMO couldn't give a fiddlers about patient safety, their only concern is the people they are paid to represent. (and they dgaf about you either)

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

You made me think I'd mixed them up but Ibuprofen is what my relative mentioned to me. As others have said it's not offered otc, so it must be right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

At the end of the day, pharmacists have less training than doctors in terms of diagnosing and treating diseases. Such a move will 100% have an impact on patient safety however with a limited and targeted set of medicines in their purview the balance could be positive overall given the state of the GP network. Medicine in general, as with many other areas of life, is about balancing different risks.

Advertisement