Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte Pyrenees 2024 Cancelled with <2 weeks notice

• 13-08-2024 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Big bucks spent on flights, accommodation, car hire, airport parking, CI licence (!), bike stuff etc etc etc (not far off €1000). Then, 12 days out, I get the email below this morning.

Anyone else in the same boat? I guess I might as well go anyway….

The could have least have said what the "unforeseen circumstances" were.

We have important information to give you concerning the Marmotte Granfondo Pyrénées 2024, for which you are registered.

We regret to inform you that, due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, we are obliged to cancel the Marmotte Granfondo Pyrénées scheduled for 25/08/2024.

We appreciate the lateness of this announcement and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Rest assured, each participant will receive a full refund of their registration fee. Refunds will be processed automatically in the coming weeks, and you will receive an email to this effect very shortly.

We greatly appreciate your enthusiasm and support for this event, and we share your disappointment. We are already working on plans for future events, and look forward to seeing you again.

Thank you for your understanding, and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

All the best,

The Marmotte Granfondo Pyrenees team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Wow. That's bad form! Myself and a couple of mates were trying to get a crew together to do this but it didn't happen.

I suppose you'd have to go do it regardless. The roads and cols aren't going anywhere, and you'll have no one in your way or passing you out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Go. Extend your holiday if you can.

So much stuff to do around there.

Loads of brilliant cycling routes (better than the actual marmotte route)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,001 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

(1) Unsupported Marmotte Pyrenees 2024 | Facebook

FB group set up for those who intend to do it anyway (unsupported).

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭2016

Yeah I've done it before, as well as the Marmotte Alps, and this was my revenge attempt having suffered last time due to poor training.

Cheers for this!

Since nutrition and hydration is so critical, I'm not sure if unsupported appeals!

But I might split it in two, Saturday and Sunday.

• Advertisement

Well, you'll buy water and food en route no problem and anyway the last time we did the Marmotte alps the food stops were sh1te altogether, so you won't be missing out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Why was it cancelled?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

D918 is a busy road. Looks like a complete (unt of a route to do, organised or otherwise.

https://www.seektravelride.com/pyrenees-cirque-de-troumouse/

Col de Spandelles, lac de Cap-de-Long, Col de solour etc etc. Go do the best roads in one of the best places in the world to cycle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From that FB page (a somewhat meaningless statement)…

Looks like they didn't actually have permission of local authorities? Silly organization

• Advertisement

The whole cancellation sounds fishy, it's not like anything caused the roads to be impassable. So either the organisers decided they didn't want to pay the locals, or they had no permission sought/received.

Either way, participants get screwed.

Here is the route:

177km Marmotte Pyrenees 2024 | 111.0 mi Cycling Route on Strava

Same as the one I did in 2022, except the killer post-cycle ride back from Hautacam to Luz Saint Saveur has been incorporated in the the start of the ride.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not as if the organisers will be able to recover from this. Who will ever risk signing up again?

Bit mad that. Sure the event is part of a massive organisation isn't it, they do a whole suite of long standing gran fondo sportives all season. Hard to believe they suddenly didn't play ball with the local council or whatever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

All locally organised AFAIK though, kind of like a franchise. Look at Ireland where there were lots of last minute changes and poor communication for along time. Albeit, everyone I talked to enjoyed the Irish one, but the pre race stuff was not confidence inspiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,001 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think they were not willing to pay higher(?) fees to the various local administrations. I'm open to correction but weren't the numbers registered lower than expected? Perhaps they would have had to run it at a loss if it continued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you go to the site for the alps version of the event, which would have happened a month or two ago, there's a warning about a date change. did they change the date on that too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think the alps change was due to a snap election which is understandable. This one seems much less forgiveable

Still, not much use to you either if you'd booked flights etc.

So the update here is I'm still going, and will do the 177km/5700m. The FB/WhatsApp group indicates a few dozen doing it at least. Will carry a lot more food than I'd normally do, and just need to figure out hydration. I foresee lots of stress as I park my expensive bike outside a shop and pop in for water, assuming I can even find a shop on a Sunday in rural France

• Advertisement

Are there public water fonts in the pyrenees like there are in the alps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭mvt

In my experience of both the French alps & pyrenees there is always a water tap & toilet at the local municipalities office (the Marie, I think it's called?).

Not to tempt fate I'd say you would have more chance of your bike been stolen in a village here.

Hope you enjoy the experience, sounds like a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Sorry to hear about, that's a real shame. I done the Marmotte Alps this year and it was moved from Sunday to the Saturday last minute, luckily I flew in on the Friday but it did mean a red eye Friday and then up for the event at 4am so was shattered for the event. Pretty sure lots would of missed the event due to the date change.

Was actually looking at doing the Pyrenees next year but certainly wouldn't chance it now.

Makes me think twice about organizing a foreign trip centered around an event.

Advertisement