Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Hospital Galway Car Parking Next 3 Years

• 13-08-2024 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭

I have to travel from North Donegal to UHG every few months for at least the next 3 years.

2 weeks ago after driving down it took nearly an hour to get into the main carpark at about 11.30am. 1 car out 1 car in. I ended up late for my clinic.

Is this normal? Is it better / worse earlier in the morning or in the afternoon? Are there any plans to sort this out?

Just to be clear Im grateful to be getting treatment I need. I'll be driving for 4.5 hours and I dont want to miss my clinic appointments.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If you are able you could try the big car park behind the cathedral. It is however very busy. However it is only a five minute walk to the hospital. You could be lucky. Worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

Try and park at the back of the hospital, there's often spaces right at the back if you don't mind a 10 minute walk and no need to pay in a lot of them. Just park it where you can as that's what most people do and there doesn't seem to be any great enforcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭39steps

Unfortunately, this is completely normal, spaces in big carpark in front of the hospital are gone by 10 am and it's like that everyday. There are no plans to address this well-known problem.

Try carpark at the Cathedral if you can walk the 10 mins over to UHG.

You might get a private space on https://parkpnp.com/ie

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Park in Merlin Park and get the Free Shuttle Bus.

Runs every 20 mins until 10am and then every 30 minutes.

Someone else might confirm this timetable:

https://www.saolta.ie/sites/default/files/publications/MPUH-UHG%20Staff%20Shuttle%20Bus%20Timetable%2027_10_15.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭rock22

Not sure if it only for certain patients but I noticed a bus bringing patients from letterkenny hospital to Galway. It might be worth making enquiries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭rustyfrog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Yes, Have used it loads of times for appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭jj880

Is this Merlin Park Hospital?

That would suit me great as my next appointment is there and I have to go over to UHG soon as Im finished for another appointment.

If I could get away with not having to drive into Galway city and trying to park in / near UHG that would be great. Im not a fan of the traffic after a long drive then trying to get a parking spot. Ive been to other clinics near Merlin Park Hospital. Much handier comin in off the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭jj880

Thanks but I think Id lose the plot on a bus full of patients from Letterkenny to Galway. Drove it now 5+ times in last few years with my father so I like being able to stop when I need to. Usually the plaza is a good stop for me just outside Galway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement