Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance/marathon swimming

• 13-08-2024 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭

Any long distance/marathon swimmers here? Did the Glendalough 3.9 last year went out to 4.2km on the day at 1hr43 minutes, @2:26/100m. Going back to it this year and hoping to improve, however im already looking towards next year and looking for a marathon swim if possible anybody any experience in these events? Would travel to the UK to partake id neccessary.

Thanks in advance

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

There aren't a huge amount of organised marathon (i.e. 10km plus) swims in Ireland.

Leinster Open Sea do a 10km every year in Lough Lene (this years is on Saturday). To enter this (and all of their other races) you need to be a member of a swim club and of Swim Ireland plus register with LOS for the year. They run at least one sea race a week over the summer so its well worth registering with them. Hopefully it will be the same setup in 2025 but it's hard to say at the minute as Swim Ireland are trying to kill off the Leinster Open Sea setup.

If you're happy to go to the UK there's a lot of options. I am a big fan of the Chillswim Events (https://chillswim.com/swim-events/). They have three main swims which are 'end to end' swims (no boring laps) in the lake district. Coniston is 5.5 miles so technically not a marathon swim; Ullswater is 7.5 miles; and Windemere is 11 miles. I've done Ullswater and Windemere and the race set up and support is top notch.

You can also do one of the Great Swims in the UK, the great North Swim is a 10km in Windemere (laps). I did this a couple of years ago and it was a disaster, the weather was poor and rather than pull the race and issue refunds they let us swim in atrocious weather for 40 minutes and then cancelled the event. I wouldn't be going back to another of their events.

There is also the option of the Oceanman Series, which do 10km and more in Spain and Italy amongst other places.

Advertisement