Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short Term Plan -Help,Advice welcome

• 14-08-2024 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there. Our dad passed away recently, kind of unexpected. Myself and brother live fairly close and don't want the place falling apart in the short term. We can do jobs on evenings and weekends. Our farming experience was helping when needed. If we're told what to do, we can do it, but we wouldn't be great at the finer details. So we're working out what we need to see us through to Christmas. Any advice or feedback welcome, as well as if there's something obvious missing.

Context - about 90 blackface mountain ewes, mixture of hilly land and grassy fields. Number of lambs, not sure, but I assume similar.

Rams - we usually let rams out in late October/early November. Should we put them in a shed beforehand or will they be fine out in the field? Any doses or vaccinations needed before going out?

Ewes - I know we should grade them on condition. We'll probably just separate them by "good" condition and "need improving". Will they be fine with grass until closer to lambing? Again, any doses or vaccinations recommended before letting ram at them?

Lambs - all ram lambs will be sent for slaughter. For ewe lambs, is there a recommended percentage to keep to replace older ewes in future?

Are there any diseases or other issues to be particularly aware of this time of year?

I think that's it (for now), and again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The fact you're asking those questions means you already have an idea idea of what's going on. That's a good start anyway.

What you can and can't do depends on what sheds/yard you have. I'm not a hill farmer but I used to have sheep so here are a few questions that might help:

• Where are the rams now? How many rams do you have? I assume they're blackface rams and you don't cross the ewes with a Suffock or lowland ram?
    • Were the ewes ever done for blackleg? Do ye have an issue with blackleg on the farm? If you want to do them, then it's a 2-shot injection: 1ml the first day and 1ml again 4-6 weeks' later as far as I remember. Talk to your vet about that. The rams should be done too but not around the time they're going into the ewes as it can affect their performance.
    • You've the right idea with the ewes body condition: separate out any that look thin now and give them good grass from here on. Give them a worm dose maybe too - it wouldn't do them any harm. Probably no need to do any ewes that are in good condition. Have you weaned the lambs off the ewes yet? Ideally, you'd put the ewes in good condition into the shed and feed them hay or straw for a week post-weaning. Leave the shook ewes into grass someplace. And leave the lambs into good grass on the other side of the farm if possible. Probably no harm to dose the lambs at this stage - maybe a week post-weaning.
    • Re replacement ewes: the recommendation is usually around 20%, but that's a farm-by-farm decision depending on whether you're expanding/reducing numbers, changing breeding policy, etc. Try to keep only ewe lambs that have a twin. That is, try to keep ewe lambs from ewes that had twins rather than just a single lamb.
    • Have the ewes and rams been sheared at this stage? Again, ask the neighbours for someone who'll shear them for you. Failing that, ask the vet if he/she knows someone around who might shear them. What part of the country are you in? Someone on here might be able to get you a number for a shearer near you.

The biggest potential issue would be blackleg I think. I'm guessing some hill farmers never have an issue with it but if you've a mixture of land then it could be something to check out. Talk to a vet and/or a neighbours about it.

Ask plenty questions on here. Farmers will try to help as best they can, especially if you've been half landed in it by an unexpected death.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

The approach I would use is to think about what needs to be done today or in the near future. Are the lambs weaned yet? Are the sheep sheared? Is silage cut?

If the immediate jobs are out of the way, that will give you some breathing space to plan.

Regarding ewe lambs, we usually keep around 15% of the overall flock number for breeding. If I was in your scenario, I might consider gathering and selling the lambs asap to take the pressure off.
    Summer dip is the next job for us so that might be one to keep in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

are u interested in keeping the sheep. Are u working off farm. If you’re working I would suggest sell the sheep. Keep a few for hobby if u want but there is feck out of sheep for all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 muck.savage

Yes, @Siamsa Sessions from browsing here, there are many helpful farmers on boards. And neighbours have also been great.

The rams and ewes were sheared a few weeks ago. Rams were let out with ewes. I assume they should be separated soon, and kept apart until we want them breeding? But should they go on nuts and straw/hay in a shed, or would a well fenced field do and just eat grass? We have a blackface ram and a cheviot ram for crosses.

No idea about back leg, but will ask neighbours, thanks. Will dose the thinner ones. And lambs have been weaned. Thanks for your figure for replacement ewes.

@nicksnikita thankfully all shearing done and lambs weaned. All dipping done as well. We've never cut silage. I think that is a good plan regarding lambs - maybe keeping a few replacements, again thanks for your figure.

@Tileman that is a very real possibility. But we'll probably try to continue as normal until next year and we've a definite plan in place. Thanks for feedback.

One more question - would the replacement ewe lambs also be put with the ram, or would they be too young?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Muck.savage, condolences on the recent passing of your dad. Welcome to boards and don't be afraid to ask questions. You've a lot to deal with at the moment so don't put yourself under too much pressure to get everything 100% this time around. You've a lot of the main items under control. Neighbours can be great help in times like this so don't be afraid to ask them for some advice too as they would probably be farming the same system as yourself. Best of luck with everything in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Sounds like you’re in decent shape then. Sounds like there’s a lot already done.

We have a similar setup here, but with a mix of blackface and cheviot ewes. We don’t house rams at any time of year. Once separated from the ewes, they stay on grass, with meal, until mating in early November.

We never breed this years lambs. So they’re separated from the flock when the rams go out. I’d say ye would be in the same boat judging by the dates in your first post with lambs being born from around 1st April…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry for the loss. You might want to contact dept with regard to farm payments. BISS etc. might need a new bank account set up as payments are by direct debit. I believe they have a bereavement section.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

It might be a good idea to start thinking about lambing time, next spring…… Will you and your brother be able to devote enough time? How labour intensive was lambing on the farm? Were they lambed indoors, or did they just work away outside, with little assistance? The reality is, no matter how well you maintain the flock throughout the year, the whole thing depends on successful lambing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 muck.savage

@hopeso

Lambing is always outdoors with little assistance. We'd probably try to check on ewes and lambs in the mornings and evenings before and after work. If necessary I'm fortunate enough I'd be able to take a week or even 2 off work if I thought necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭lmk123

I know absolutely nothing about sheep but sincere condolences to ye and fair play for keeping the show on the road, it’s not easy at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Austinbrick

My sympathies muck.savage on the the death of your Dad.

My Dad died 4 yrs ago .He farmed all his life. He lived to 75. A good friend of his gave us ,his sons, one small but valuable bit of advice.

He said " Whatever ye do, Will ye try not to fight " That was all.

Since then , there are 3 of us working the farm as well as off farm jobs, we have had plenty of arguments and disagreements and Walkaways !!! but no fights. Plenty of laughs too.

His friend has since passed on as well .May they Rest in Peace.

Advertisement