Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with WhatsApp messages?

• 14-08-2024 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope I am posting in the correct thread🤷‍♂️🙂………please move Mods if not.

Couple of basic questions on WhatsApp-

(1)-If you receive a WhatsApp message is there anyway of actually reading said message without it then instantly coming up as having been read,on the original senders phone?

I like to have the feature on where you can see if and when a message was delivered or read…….so if it was necessary to turn off that feature (in order to be able to read a message without the sender knowing you did so)………would not really be a workable solution iykwim.

(2)-Or for arguments sake can you adjust your WhatsApp settings temporarily in order to read a message (from a sender who you don’t want to know that their message was read iykwim)……..and having read their messages then return to settings and reset so you can see if all other messages are read by the receivers.

Hope that doesn’t sound too complicated.

Would really appreciate anyone’s advice/views on this asap🙂

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

turn on WhatsApp notifications and set it so that u have a preview of the message like the option down the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks for the prompt reply.Checked my notifications settings there and they are all currently on,including the one to ‘show preview’.

When I typically receive any message you will just see the first line of the message……if that makes sense.

The most recent WhatsApp I received from the person concerned is just a one line question 🙋‍♂️.

Said I would say that in case the ‘show preview’ feature is different say for a much longer message iykwim.

On my phone, iPhone, it shows most of the message, maybe not all but generally enough to figure out what’s being said. On my watch, Garmin, it shows the whole message , it scrolls through it. In the privacy section in settings my ‘read receipts’ are turned off. So when I send a WhatsApp it will come up as delivered/two ticks. This is a message I just sent to a phone two feet away from me. Message has been delivered but not read.

and this is a photo I sent yesterday which was read straight away. So if u send a message to someone there’s no way of knowing they’ve read it unless they have read receipts turned on.

does this answer your question??

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

You used to be able to turn off your internet/mobile data, open and read the message, then exit and turn your data back on. This would allow you to read the message without the sender seeing the two blue check marks that indicate you've read it. Not sure if that's still the case, maybe test it with someone sitting beside you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I have an android phone and just swipe from the top of the screen down and I can read the message. If I don't click on the message it stays unread.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Read receipts under privacy, turn that off.

Thanks for comprehensive reply……only thing is I’m not sure if the other party has the ‘read’ setting on iykwim.

afaik if you have ‘read receipts’ activated on your phone , only the other person can see what time you’ve read the message they sent you (after opening your WhatsApp and reading it that way l). You can’t see if they’ve read a message you sent them unless read receipts is activated on their phone.

Advertisement