Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 bed apartment vs 3 bed house

• 14-08-2024 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

For a First time buyer in Dublin that is buying solo with no plans for a family, how would you decide between 2 bed apartment vs 3 bed house. Budget of €400k, looking in Dublin 12, 15, 24.

Houses are obviously more expensive but I've no sense of how much of a premium a 3 bed house should command. Any insight or guide on what the price difference should be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Look at both on daft and you'll see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you think long term the answer is a 3 bed house. You won't have maintenance fees or as many sound issue with a house. It will increase in value or at least maintain it's value than an apartment. Possibility of changes to a house are much more varied than an apartment.

Apartments do have certain advantages like not doing gardening and maybe extra facilities but I don't think they are worth it personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

location , location, location D12,15 and 24 covers a large area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

If the location is the same, I'd take the house. But for a better location, I would take the apartment.

For a family, however, the house is preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭herbalplants

The management fees on apartments are a turn off in my book

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 GreenPanda99

My sis just bought a 1 bed apartment. When they were looking they saw lots with management charges of 2k and 3k and crossed them off their list purely because of the management charge. The one they bought has management charge of €1050 per year. That covers block insurance, bins, outside maintenance etc.

I think lifts and gates really inflate management charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about meeting in the middle OP with a 2 bed house?

Prices range dramatically but where I am in Stoneybatter / D7 you're talking 350-450k for a 2 bed house.

The down side being they're small, 50-70sqm but you can make it work if you don't plan on having a family.

The location is fantastic, lovely community and walking distance to everywhere in the city really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you can get an apartment complex with no lifts, underground garage or electric gates the management fees aren't too bad. If you can get your own front door then they will be even less.

I've a 2 bed apartment with own front door and I'm paying €550 management fees. With house insurance and maintenance on a house you'd be close to this, especially if you how much you value your time, and then if you've communal grass cutting it could be more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Advertisement