Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Looking Console Of All Time

• 14-08-2024 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭

Your opportunity to rank your top 10 best looking consoles of all time!

(Games not labelled but manually added in are as follows; Atari XEGS, Sega SG-1000, Commadore Amiga CD32, Amstrad GX4000, Famicom, SNES (EU), Turbografx16-PC, Sega MegaDrive (EU), Apple Pippin)

Requirements:

Rank your top 10 over the next week or so. You can choose a console that's not on the list above, so long as it's a proper console in line with the others (ie. not primarily considered a handheld or a streaming box/dongle).

You can either use the list function on Boards with your number 1 as 1 and so on, where your No.1 will get 10 points, No.2 gets 9 points… Or you can write out your top 10 saying "XXXXX - 10 points, YYYYY - 9 points" etc. Doesn't matter which format you use so long as you make it clear which is your top pick. I'll compile all the points at the end.

Also, this is ranking the appearance of the consoles only (I took out the handhelds). So it's not about games or which was your favourite to play, but solely on the appearance of the physical console itself. How well designed is it, does it look inviting to play, how do the colours work together, how well did it incorporate some of its features etc. Peripherals shouldn't really be considered a factor unless they're a major component of the console itself (so the Joycons of the Switch are a factor because they form part of the console, but the WiiMote for the Wii wouldn't be a factor). I also took out the likes of Stadia and Ouya etc where the 'console' is just little more than a dongle & controller.

There are multiples of some consoles in the list based on different versions of the same console, but as this is ranking based on appearance and it's the console appearance that changed, they'll be listed and ranked separately, so make clear which version of the console you're choosing based on the list above. If it's felt by the end that it's skewing the figures too much compared to consoles which only had one version, we can combine the scores.

Unless there's anything major missing or that you'd suggest we change, fire ahead!

Post edited by Penn on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SNES (European / Japanese version) needs to be in there alongside the much uglier American version.

Ditto the MegaDrive and Famicom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CraigsBar

Perhaps there are some consoles missing. How about the Commodore Amiga CD32, Apple Pippin, Atari XEGS, Ouya, Sega SG-1000 or the Amstrad GX4000? Clearly none of them are the greatest consoles of their era, but they have a certain aesthetic that their rival lacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cheers, have added them in now. Wasn't sure if there was enough of a difference between the MegaDrive and Genesis but worth having I suppose. But yeah the SNES EU/JPN should definitely be in. Have added all three anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,622 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Turbografx 16 should be replaced with the japanese PC engine as that's one of the smallest and best looking consoles ever while the tg16 might be the biggest crime America has ever committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭McFly85

EU/Japan SNES - 10

Dreamcast - 9

PS1 - 8

GameCube - 7

Mega Drive II - 6

NES - 5

Wii - 4

PS2 Slim - 3

Xbox 360 S Gen 2 - 2

PS4 - 1

• Advertisement

Yeah the tierlist I found is probably too much US-centric. I can add in images only but they're not labelled like the others, so I'll list the additions below the image for reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Don't see it on the list but the victor wondermega

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CraigsBar

1. Sega Dreamcast (10 Pts)
    2. Amstrad GX4000 (9 pts)
    3. Atari Jaguar CD (8 pts)
    4. Neo Geo (7 pts)
    5. Xbox One S (6 pts)
    6. Sega SG-1000 (5 pts)
    7. Sega Mega Drive [EU] (4 pts)
    8. Sega Megadrive 2 [EU] (3 pts)
    9. Xbox 360 gen2 (2 pts)
    10. Apple Pippin (1 pt)

If we get a few more recommendations to add, I'll add it in with them. But I'll edit the OP to also say people can choose a console not on the list, so long as it's a proper console in line with the others (ie. not primarily considered a handheld or a streaming box/dongle).

Not going to lie; I've never heard of half of what I've already edited in, and based on the images, some of them aren't going to be getting many votes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Finally a thread on boards where Atari Jaguar is a valid response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

My own ranking:

1. Playstation 1
    2. Nintendo Wii
    3. SNES EU
    4. Playstation 4
    5. Sega Mega Drive 2
    6. Nintendo 64
    7. Playstation 2
    8. Sega Dreamcast
    9. Nintendo Gamecube
    10. Xbox One S (Gen 2)

I've never actually owned any of the Nintendo consoles (bar the Switch), but can't deny they damn near nail the design each and every time.

I also think the PS4 is a terrific design. I know it probably won't rank high for most people, but I think it's simple, it's slick, and the little flourishes of the slanted front, the two even tiers, the sharp corners, the glossed front section, and the thin light going from front to back… just beautiful. They completely lost that with the Slim and Pro versions.

The PS1 is just King for me though. Not even nostalgia pick, but I think it's a perfectly balanced design. Everything just feels exact and proportioned. The grey is just the perfect tone. The colours of the PS logo really pop. The little design choices like the groove going from the eject button to the disk tray and the light below the power button. Just sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

1. PS1 Gen 2 : Always loved the small sleek design. (10pts)
    2. Wii Mini : The colouring was gorgeous. (9pts)
    3. Gamecube : Loved this design due to its simplicity and being different (Bonus points to the Panasonic Q) (8pts)
    4. Dreamcast : I have a soft spot for this console so I have to have it here! (7pts)
    5. Snes (EU) : Legendary console much better looking than the American version. (6pts)
    6. Wii U : It was a basic shape that didn't take up space with a glossy colour. (5pts)
    7. N64 : My favourite console of all time so it has to be added. (4pts)
    8. Commodore 64 : My first console so nostalgia gets it here. (3pts)
    9. Xbox one S : Really nice in white and a perfect fit for under a tv unit. (2pts)
    10. Atari Jaguar : Well its a boards legend and I always wanted one 😅 (1pt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,191 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will do a proper list later but surprised the PS3 Slim hasn't made a list yet.

Would probably be GameCube followed by PS3 so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

1. Gamecube - the perfect bit of video game industrial design (10 pts)
    2. Playstation OG - cool minimalism (9 pts)
    3. SNES (EU) - simple, functional, distinctive, fun (8 pts)
    4. PC Engine - tiny and slick (7 pts)
    5. Dreamcast - unique and still looks pretty modern (6 pts)
    6. Playstation 2 OG - the rotating logo knocks this up several spots on its own (5 pts)
    7. Switch - a great bit of hybrid design (4 pts)
    8. Xbox 360 Gen 2 - always liked the green neon light adding extra character to the 360 design, and while I had the original model this one definitely looks slicker (3 pts)
    9. Sega Mega Drive 2 - the simple red buttons elevate it above the other Genesis and Mega Drive models (2 pts)
    10. Vectrex - like nothing else (1 pt)

Honourable mentions to the Wii, PS3 gen 2, and Famicom

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

1. Mega Drive 2 (10 pts)
    2. Wii Mini (9 pts)
    3. Gamecube (8 pts)
    4. Playstation 1 OG (7 pts)
    5. Dreamcast (6 pts)
    6. Playstation 4 OG (5 pts)
    7. Xbox (4 pts)
    8. Switch (3 pts)
    9. XBox One S (2 pts)
    10. Atari Jaguar (1 pt)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

1. Playstation 4 (Gen 2) : I had the launch version but I always thought the slim version looked really slick (10pts)
    2. Neo Geo : Never had one, but I always thought they looked really minimal and unassuming and therefore, really cool (9pts)
    3. Atari 2600 : Again, I've never owned one but it looks beautiful to me, like a vintage piece of Hi-Fi equipment. (8pts)
    4. Sega Saturn (Japanese version specifically) : The Japanese version always looked way cooler than the US/PAL version. Even the logo was better. Love it. (7 pts)
    5. NES : Iconic, what more can you say. (6 pts)
    6. Dreamcast : (5 pts)
    7. Playstation 1 : (4 pts)
    8. Nintendo 64 : (3 pts)
    9. Gamecube : (2 pts)
    10. Playstation 5 : I seem to be in the minority of people that actually like the look of this thing. (1 pt)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,622 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. PS1 - gorgeous piece of design that gave an air of being a high quality futuristic piece of kit (even if the CD drive was anything but high quality). Sony had some top of the line industrial design during this era.

2. GameCube - it was cute and had an air of play about it. Wonderfully compact design and even had a handle to let you carry it to your mates.

3. PSP - might be the sexiest console ever made. The black colour scheme, massive screen and transparent shoulder buttons just screamed that this was the future.

4. PC Engine - the smallest console ever made. It had a tiny form factor despite being a very capable piece of kit but was no less stylish. Love the credit card size game cards.

5. Gameboy light - the original Gameboy would be here if the light version wasn't the exact same thing but in a smaller package. The Gameboy always looked great.

6. Super Nintendo (Japanese/EU) - far better looking than the travesty they got in the US. Lovely sleek rounded design and the use of colour was much better than the ugly grey and purple of the US.

7. 3DS - the DS lite might be here but the 3DS has more of that PSP style sexiness. The ultimate form of the clamshell design which is still the perfect handheld console form factor and a damn shame the switch took it from us.

8. Megadrive - a console with looks that fell right in line with Sega's targeting of an older teenage demographic. Sleek, dark and emphasising the teenage angst or the grunge era. The perfect console for that time period.

9. NES - despite the cartridge mechanism ruining the cartridge connector with a few weeks it did feel great inserting a cartridge and pressing it down. Has a great form factor and love how the ridges are carried over to the cartridges.

10. PS Vita - the slightly more rounded and less sexy PSP. The rounded look makes it seem more accessible. Still a great looking piece of kit that stinks of sleek.

Sorry, but handhelds not being included in this ranking, so the likes of the Gameboy, PSP etc are out. I included the Switch because technically it's still a console, whereas I took the Switch Lite out because it's a pure handheld.

• Advertisement

Definitely happy to run another one for handhelds after this, but I think there's such a discernible difference in how consoles and handhelds have to be designed that they're hard to compare.

Plus we're already at 68 consoles on the list. If we throw all the models of even just the DS into the mix I'm not sure Excel allows that many rows.

Tbf you are a mod you can ban him and do what you want 🤷‍♂️😂 Joking of course.

Absolutely do one for handhelds after 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Finally, an excuse to wax lyrical about the Nokia N-Gage!

Gimme some Tiger handhelds too! Some of them looked class with the art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

1. Playstation 1 OG (10 pts)
    2. Gamecube (9 pts)
    3. Xbox Series X (8 pts)
    4. Atari 2600(7 pts)
    5. Megadrive (6 pts)
    6. Xbox 360 OG (5 pts)
    7. WII OG (4 pts)
    8. Playstation 2 (3 pts)
    9. Nintendo Snes EU (2 pts)
    10. Dreamcast (1 pt)

I dont know how the series X isnt on more peoples list, whilst it may just be a big monolith, its design is sleek and pretty much exudes power, the curved vent with the neon green paint which can be seen at diff angles is a great touch.

Atari with its wood panels and flick switches is just a beaut, cartridges looked odd sticking out of it mind, the joystick with the rubber at the base and single button brings back a tonne of gaming memories. ( I have a retro handheld that has faux wood paneling and its brilliant)

OG 360 the move to white was offputting but the curved look and lights to emphasis how many controllers ( or how F**ked your console was ) was a great. even liked the look of the HDD on top a wonderful console ( probably the best user interface as well on its first iteration)

Rest of the list most have said why I do think the ps2 on its side always looked good and the neat touches of twisting the logo was great designs

The series X is just a GameCube but boring.

Everything I’ve seen suggests the Xbox Series X is quite a remarkable feat of engineering - it’s extremely elegantly designed and laid out to fit comfortably inside the case, without causing any issues despite the space constraints. The DF videos on it are fascinating.

On an aesthetic level, though, a console has never been more ‘indistinct black box that plays video games’.

I liked the green coming from the curved vent on the Series X until I realised it was just green plastic rather than an actual light. I was hoping it would be some sort of light, like pulsing if it's loading or starting up, on solid when it's on etc. After that even though I like the look of it, it unfortunately felt a bit cheap.

It's pretty much the same design of the GameCube. All the components place around a central fan channel. Just the GameCube does it with style. It's the same reason I don't rate the PS4. It's just a black parallelogram that plays games. I mean the PS2 is an ugly console but it has personality at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

Advertisement