Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 bolt toilet to 2 bolt toilet.

• 15-08-2024 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice! We need to replace the toilet in my grandmother's house. I've been told that it is a "low level" toilet. It has four bolts at the bottom of it, where the newer ones only have two. It would have been originally installed in the 1970s.

My question is, when getting a new toilet, will I have to buy the "old fashioned" type with the four bolts? Or would it be possible to fit a two bolt one? It is harder to find the 4 bolt low level ones, I would be looking for a second hand one, which I don't mind doing, but they are not as common as the two bolt ones.

Also, before I wanted to replace the toilet, I tried to replace the toilet seat but again it seemed really challenging to find a seat that fit the pan!!

I think it was because of the old fashioned style if the toilet.

I think I would prefer to replace it with a more modern type of toilet but does anyone know if this is possible? And if so, would it be very costly to do it?

Thanks very much in advance for any help yous can give!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Could you add some photos of the toilet you currently have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

The bolts used will be required to create the seal. It’s more than fitting the cistern to the bowl, but creating the seal so the flush water doesn’t leak. It’s the coupling fittings that will be the important connection. You may struggle to get one suitable for a 4 bolt to two bolt set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 Yoyoyo123

Thanks very much for your replies, I appreciate it.

Good idea regarding the photos, I've attached two,one of each side of the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 revelino70

Most, if not all, modern toilet pans (the bowl part) have two holes for fixing to the floor. It'll make no odds at all to the fitting a new toilet. If you're going to stick to the low level system, a new low-level pan will cost in the region of €60. If you'd rather a 'modern' toilet, I'm assuming you mean a close-coupled toilet - i.e. the cistern sits directly on the pan, you could spend anything from €120 upwards. Most will come with a seat also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You can basically fit any type on toilet you prefer once you have a water supply and a waste pipe which you have. Screwfix have a good selection including a closed coupled unit for a hundred euro, you might find one cheaper if you search online.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It looks like the sewer pipe is in a good place to switch over to a close coupled toilet and make the whole setup a bit neater.

Switching to 2 bolts isn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭monseiur

Best to tile the floor too before fitting new pan, it will be more hygienic & will make cleaning easier for the servants😉

That's great to hear, thanks so much for your reply.

Would you know roughly how much it would cost to switch over to the two bolts and get a two bolt one fitted? Thanks very much

Great! Thanks very much for the tips and help

Thanks very much for your help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement