Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RMT 24/25

• 15-08-2024 5:08am
    Administrators Posts: 384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: General chat 24/25.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,747 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is my first attempt. I'm really keen on going cheap on defense to start the season.

I've two certain £4m starters in Faes and Harwood-Bellis. I'm gambling on Barco whose a massively talented kid at Brighton. Estupinan is out to start the season and he should get the start for the first couple of games at least. He might win the spot and he's also a challenger to Mitoma for the left spot further forward.

I watched this kid many times before he moved to Brighton. I'm predicting very big things for him.

I love Mattsen after watching him with Dortmund last season and Davis has to be picked after leading league 1 two seasons ago and the championship last year in assists.

My midfield is very strong I think my only concern is whether Martinelli gets the starts. If he doesn't I'll go cheaper to replace him and improve the defense if need be.

Up top I've last years top points scorer and Isaak who improved as the season wore on. I've Havertz there at the moment but that can change at any time to Nunez, Solanke, Toney and others.

I'd appreciate opinions on my thoughts on defense and the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Draft #1

Raya 4m

Anderson Burn Mykelonko Konsa 4m

Salah Gordon Foden A.Pereira 4.5m

Haaland Isak J.Pedro

Pereira the main weaklink. Foden not in many drafts but like their fixtures and can just see him recreating last season's form (despite a poor euros). Few options: Foden to Eze and Anderson to TAA, or J.Pedro to Darwin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

What I like most is that you have a clear strategy re spending less on defence.

With that in mind I don’t see the value in a 5.0m GK. Also, if I was going to spend 5.0m on just one defender it would be a tried and tested FPL scoring defender and even at that I think I’d prefer a 4.5m like Andersen or Mykolenko.

I don’t like your strong front 8 but only because I don’t like having that weekly headache as to who to bench.

If you did go for a 4.5m GK and defender then you could shift Garnacho and Havertz and have 15.5m for those two slots. So you could have a 10m and 5.5m combo (so your 5.5m could be worthy of first sub) or an 11m and 4.5m combo. You’d most likely end up with some money in the bank with the latter option and that’s not a bad thing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My first draft:

Pope/Petrovic

Munoz (strong finish to last season)/Barco (agree with Eagle Eyes assessment)/ Maatsen (good value)/ Ait-Nouri/Davis

Foden/Palmer/Eze/Garnacho/E.Anderson (gambling on him doing an Elanga from last year)

Isak/Watkins/Gakpo (gambling on new manager bounce unlocking his Netherlands form).

Happy enough to begin with, with a bit of wiggle room to upgrade where needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭COH

I wouldn't be getting Petrovic in - Chelsea look set to sign a keeper before the start of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong with this one!! A few big hitters in there, plus a few gambles….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Don't think Mainoo is a great FPL asset (though great player imo) and Hojlund is a wait and see especially with Zirkzee in the mix now too - could downgrade to somebody like cunha or wood and upgrade mainoo (Bruno G, Bailey, Brennan Johnson etc)

Post edited by caviardreams on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

You must be a man united fan. I can think.of no other reason why you would have 3 man united players in your dream. And I'm.not having a dig. I'm a spurs fans myself and I've made the same mistake many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Correct, I've fallen into this trap before.

Will make some changes

I wouldn't have any United players to start with. You've an injury prone defender, a midfielder you wouldn't expect to be involved in attacking returns very often and a striker whose done very little.

This isn't last year so having two Arsenal at the back would be a no, no for me to start the season.

Winks isn't going to do anything, he mightn't even get a start. João Pedro was a big disappointment for Brighton last season, he hadn't done enough to be in your team.

Cucurella was great in the Euros but he's not guaranteed to start for Chelsea with Chilwell and Colwill also there.

Do your two keepers alternate? If you are going to have Raya then a guy whose got home fixtures when Arsenal face City, Liverpool and the other top teams is the way I'd go.

I don't think it's a good idea to have Haaland and Salah, you are leaving yourself too weak in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭skippy15

First proper stab I feel kinda happy with, few solid picks with some risks, still not decided on haaland see how pre seasons and signing work out, thoughts

I don't think there's any guarantees that Rogers and Nkunku will start for their respective clubs. I'd rather take a chance on Delap over a guy that spent last year out on loan. Yoro is an unknown quantity, I'd rather wait and watch before pulling the trigger on a move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭skippy15

Ye I agree with you, they are risks but placeholders at this stage nkuku could become eze and yoro to a few of the 4.5, had burn but concerned on his mimutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭patmac

My cheap defence, premium attack 1st draft.

I didn't think it wad possible but you've managed it.

The thing is, even if the punts on Nkunku and Pedro don't work out, there are lots of viable alternatives in the same price range.

Son is 10m which means you can go to Saka easy enough if he go nuts early on but with Foden at the same price and Palmer at 10.5 you would have to sell Son and downgrade elsewhere to get them in but you have little or no wiggle room to downgrade elsewhere without affecting your premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

One of the better teams I've seen with both of the big dogs in it.

However, I'm not convinced with Son and/or Bruno. For 18.5M between the two, I think there's much better options out there.

Foden & Odegaard

Saka & anyone <7.5

Palmer & Bowen

Hell, even Salah + Mainoo are better prospects in the early games, I think.

I think, overall, Haaland hampers the team too much. I was going to go without either of them initially but have managed to find a decent squad with Salah included, by ditching Trippier and selecting the player who is most likely to benefit, should he leave for Bayern. Makes downgrading him or finding the money for Haaland, if he goes nuts, that bit easier, without any real compromise in overall team quality. Will probably chop and change a bit over the coming weeks:

Team 1…………………………………………………………Differences highlighted in bold…………………………………….Team 2

Flekken (4.0)……………………………………………………………………………………….Pickford (4.0)

Saliba Martinez Livramento (Barco / Faes)…………………………………………Saliba Martinez Trippier (Barco Faes)

Saka Palmer Gordon Salah (4.5)………………………………………………………..Saka Palmer Gordon Foden (4.5)

Watkins Isak Muniz………………………………………………………………………………Watkins Isak Muniz

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sojustrutz

My attempt to get the two big guns in, any comments appreciated. I might actually risk starting Amad as a first week punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

This is my current team.

Before this, I had Trippier, Foden & Pickford in there instead of Livramento, Salah & Flekken.

2nd version with Salah etc is much better… at least until the 1st international break by which time we should know the lay of the land a bit better in terms of players like livermento and Martinez who could be great picks if they start but if they don't you could struggle to field 11 starters.

Watkins to one of the many 7.5m options would allow you to beef up defense option a bit but sometimes you just have to back yourself, I think your draft is definitely worth a gamble

Bergvall is on my shortlist. I'm a slurs fan and I'll be watching closely. He picked up an injury in the 2nd pre season friendly which is disappointing because some of the other young talent have taken their chances in preseason and might make the spurs bench in the early weeks.

Just following up on Bergvall.…

He picked up an injury in that QPR match, but he played in all 3 preseason games since in the far east and has been the stand out player. The only one to come out of yesterday's defeat to Bayern. Definitely my 5th midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

(A) Salah, Murphy and Solanke or (B) Garnacho, Palmer and Isak?

Flekken (Turner)

Andersen - Konsa - Robinson- (Taylor, Burgess)

Saka - Foden - Smith Rowe - X - X

Haaland - X - (Ladapo)

Mega cheap defense might cost me

very weak bench but getting close to finalising

I'm now thinking of not picking any expensive player and going with cheaper mids and forwards with good fixtures. Gordon and Isaak would be my most expensive players.

Gordon, Gibbs-White and Jota, Eze and Garnacho with Isaak, Wood and Zirkzee up top.

After a couple of weeks I'll dump the ones not performing and then use my money to bring in the likes of Foden, Son and Saka and maybe Watkins. Thing is I want Ipswich players, namely Davis, Hutchinson and Delap pretty quickly from week three onwards.

I've decided to go without Salah but I'm going to cover possible Liverpool attacking returns by having both TAA and Jota instead.

This team will change 10 times before Friday.

My conundrum now is to get Solanke in instead of Jesus. I thought he was a good way to get cheap arsenal attacking cover into my team - Jesus had started the last 3 pre season friendlies in a row, play 70+ mins in a row and scored twice and then he didn't start yesterday, coupled with spurs signing Solanke now makes we wanna tare the whole thing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,290 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Salah could still bang, but I think Jota can cover him. He's 100% starting GW1, and if he plays well, it'll be hard to displace him.

So it's Haaland, no Salah for me. But this will all likely change.

Henderson
    TAA Saliba Hall
    Saka Jota Nkunku Eze ESR
    Haaland Isak
    Bench: lowly owned 4.0, Joao Pedro, Robinson, Johnson

A few other thoughts to explain:

I don't think Gvardiol is a trap, but I think City will be vulnerable at the back to start with. I'm convinced Chelsea will score in GW1. I'm just taking a chance that he doesn't do what he did at the end of last season.

Nkunku is a gift. I know the GW1 fixture isn't ideal, but you'll want him for the next few weeks. I think he'll be a mainstay in the team.

Taking a chance on Fulham scoring at OT on Friday. Similar to Chelsea, taking an informed punt on their fixture run.

Arsenal's fixtures aren't great, but I think the team is pretty fixture proof bar the absolute big boys. An attacker at least is a must.

Haaland is literally in there for that Ipswich game. It's too early in the season to be behind the couch.

Barco has been a popular pick online, but while he isn't quite a trap, I think it could go either way, and I don't want a 3.9 on my bench if he struggles. Johnson will rarely play, but is less likely to lose value. Robinson could be a breakout 4.5 defender if Fulham can figure things out without Palhinha - insanely attacking in pre-season.

Hall is nailed for Newcastle, likely until at least the first international break. Worth a bit of a punt for those first 2 fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Think I havr settled on the following:

Pope, Areola

Barco, Maatsen, Munoz, Ait-Nouri, Davis

Jota, Garnacho, Eze, Palmer, Bergvall

Haaland, Isak, Solanke.

No point tying myself up in knots constantly tinkering with it.

EDIT: swapped Davis for Hall 😂

Odegaard vs Fernandes lads, any thoughts?

Only have 8.5m so can't get Saka.

Whichever one I go with, it will leave me without any attacking cover from the other team.

Would prefer to have arsenal attacking cover then united but Fernandes usually starts well and he's on penalties and pretty much rotation proof.

I would start with Fernandes and if he's not firing swap to odegaard.

The penalties just edging it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Here's my first draft.

I'm actually quite happy but might swap Salah out as I'm not sure if he'll be in the same position under Slot as Klopp so his points might drop off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭Invincible

Henderson

Gvaridol Munoz Pedro

Saka Eze Gordon Nkunku Winks

Isak Haaland Solanke

Ward Barco Faes

Any opinions lads?

Advertisement