Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Issues - Just out of warranty

• 15-08-2024 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Looking to see if anyone has ever had to go to CCPC about a car.

We purchased a Peugeot electric car in 2022, it is a 2021 UK import. We purchased it from a Puegeot Garage in Ireland.

We didnt realise at the time that UK cars only get a 3 year warranty, not 5.

The car has been back to Peugeot many times during the warranty period for many different issues, and 1 in particular that every now and then the car wont charge! a fundamental thing for an electric car.

The car again stopped charging and I would have to unlock and relock the car to initiate the charging again, meaning I could only really charge at home when Im with the car. As this was sporadic, it meant i had to keep checking the car was charging. Peugeot looked at it again and covered the replacement of a new on board car charger (5K) they agreed to cover the cost as part of warranty.

I dealt with Peugeot head office (as took 4 months for part to come in) and pushed for an extended warranty as I have no faith in this car at all, but they would not give anything, just said they are replacing the part as a good will gesture, and if problem persists we can talk about it then!

Have had the car back a week and charged no problem twice and last night it did not charge at all, so back to the same problem. The stress of trying to get to work etc with a car with very low range!

My query - as the car is out of Peugeot warranty, do I stil have rights on handing this car back to them? or getting something done. I dont want to resell it, as it is totally unfair on the next person that purchases it.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i am no lawyer - but this sounds like an issue which occurred before the warranty had expired, was brought to their attention - and they demonstrably did not fix the issue within the warranty period.

in short, the issues you are facing should still be covered by that warranty; so i'd not let them away with 'sorry, but your warranty has expired, buddy' get out of jail card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! Specifically when did the 3yr warranty run out and when did Peugeot agree to the good-will gesture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If the same issue was raised during the warranty period and not properly fixed then it is still covered by the warranty.

A warranty fix should be a permanent fix, if it isn't then its not fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CurranBun

The warranty ran out in Feb 2024.

The car started having this particular issue in May 2023 and result was "Recall MF9" carried out" - had more issues of "electrical charge fault" (have all of this documented thank god)

The handbreak started having issues and was replaced. (have had other sporadic issues of the breaks not working properly after parking, car dead, electrical fault, stop the car etc… and once I let the car rest it comes back to life!)

The car was dead another day and had to be towed and they replaced the V12 battery. (paid for this as was out of warranty)

Once i got it back from them, the battery charging issue came back again. That was in April 2024 - so 2 months out of warranty. They took it in and advised it needed the new onboard charger and will cover the costs €4700. (April 2024)

Took 4 months for part to come in. It was replaced last week - and now the issue again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

as above, there is no issue with the warranty as the issue occurred within warranty and has not shown to be fixed on a permanent basis.

Do some research on the model and similar issues - this forum is good https://www.speakev.com/threads/peugeot-e-208-charging-issue.165019/?post_id=3143967&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-3143967

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CurranBun

Thanks, appreciate the advice from everyone, it seems clear that I am enetitled for this to be fixed regardledss of it being out of warranty.

Im going to test charging it (again) in other chargers - and get back onto them and see what they suggest.

Im hoping the CCPC might be able to help if i get no where.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again - it's simple. you had an issue when the car was in warranty and they failed to fix it; so they failed to honour the warranty.

Advertisement