Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Clean Typhoon Power Sweeping Kit

• 15-08-2024 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭

Had a bad chimney fire recently despite getting different local sweeps to clean it yearly since moving in 16 years ago.

Fire brigade called. They told me there was a lot of soot stuck to the upper section of my chimney flue. I do have a very high chimney but it makes me wonder (not accusing just wondering) was it being cleaned all the way to the top every time.

For peace of mind I want to clean it myself twice a year from now on. To take my time and do a proper job. Might go up and down twice depending on how I get on with this kit.

Typhoon power sweeping kit on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0792F74RN/

Best youtube vid Ive found for it:

Looks really good to be honest. I would probably tape round the joints just to be double sure it slides up and down without catching.

Will use it for my parents house also if its as easy as in this video.

Anyone got this kit? do you recommend it or should I get something else?

Post edited by jj880 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have something very similar called The Soot Buster, basically the same thing they are a great job. Have it about 8 years have a good hoover on standby at the touch of a button and there is minimum mess.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭jj880

This is what the sweeps are doing anyway from what I can tell. Power cleaning with a drill kit and hoover from the living room. Theyre not going up on my roof.

Ok sounds good I will get the typhoon kit. Thanks.

Clean from below is the only way to go, take your time and plan it out and once you've done it once or twice it's easy.

Soot Eater is the name of my one but it's the same thing. Clean out the stove well and be sure to close the vents before starting and have an image in your head of the angle the rod needs to go, some stoves are easier than others to get started on.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I can get the baffle plate out of mine no problem. Stanley Erin stove. Its connected to the chimney flue at the rear but I reckon if I guide the brush through by hand as far as the main chimney flue opening up in behind I'll be fine. Ive looked at it before with a wifi camera so I know where it is. Good point about the vents. Hadn't considered that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i have one. not sure of the brand. its a great job.

i cleaned a chimney for a guy one day after discussing them . he cleaned it himself with a flapper and sewer rods 2 days prior. he wanted to try it out himself. we got half of a fetaliser bag out of his chinmey . lots of fine dust but also chunks the size of a golf ball. we were both in shock.

get a powerfull electric drill with reverve if you can. reversing can get you around bends sometimes and your hitting the build up diferently . i usually go up one way and down the other

get some really strong stimmers cord for it. the stuff that came with mine was crap , far to soft. i can barely get 4 strands into mine

go slow . one rod at a time until your confident. i only ever go 2 at a time . it can get very out of control if the rods are allowed to flap all over the place.

DO NOT WEAR LOOSE GLOVES OR LOOSE CLOTHES using this. it will grab like a pto shaft and wrap up your clothes intantly. especially as you get a soot build up on the rods. trust me i have had it happen. i use builders gloves that have that hard plastic layer and let it spin in my open hand when needed. try not to do that at all if you can but sometimes its the only way.

i use it on my uncles chimney and for some reason the soot is very fine . if you start at the bottom it shoots out into the room so i shove all the rods up first and then give it a clean coming down. that works very well .

trial and error will find what works best for your chimney but be safe. keep the drill well held

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Typhoon kit coming Monday. Going to do a clean as soon as I get it. That will be exactly 1 week since the chimney sweep came to do a clean. He was an hour late Monday morning. Was here for 10 minutes then left.

Will be interesting to see what I can pull out of my flue with this kit. It should give me an indication of how well it was cleaned by the sweep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

great job. report back.

get better strimmers cord and give that a try as well. night and day difference

Ok I have loads of spare strimmer cord spools but looking at the YouTube video in my first post it does look like the typhoon has some stiff bristles that are also ridged. I'll compare with my strimmer spools though 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭monseiur

When cleaning an open fire chimney first seal chimney ope with a piece of strong plastic/polythene - use duct tape or similar to seal all around. Then make a cut in polythene in the middle of chimney ope just big enough e to get brush or other cleaning implement in. This will keep soot from shooting out on your Axminster carpet 😉

Sounds good. Ive my cordless drill charged up here for tomorrow. You know you're getting old when you start looking forward to DIY. A new gadget! 🤣

• Advertisement

Typhoon kit very easy to use. 9 rods to the top for my chimney. Pulled plenty of soot out of it and I was rotating slowly and carefully for my first clean.

Exactly 1 week since the sweep was here. Thats me and him finished. Im pretty disgusted to be honest but at least now I have this kit. It will save us 80 euro per year and I'll know my chimney is safe. Thanks everyone for the advice on here. I recommend this kit to anyone who wants to clean their own chimney 👍.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

To be fair, that's not much extra. I'll take multiples of that from my chimney three times a year. That said, the kit seems a very good alternative to the sweep or conventional brushes.

Maybe the photo is deceiving but there was a significant amount when I put my hand in behind the stove to pull it out. Far too much for 1 week since a clean and we only had our fire lit twice since the clean as it's Summer. Another point to note is the sweep left loads of soot behind the stove after his clean that I had to pull out myself. Even more than whats in this picture.

During my clean the soot only started falling when I was near the top on the way up and down. The sweep didnt bother his hole going to the top of my chimney. Im not looking for an argument but in my opinion it's dangerous the carry on he's at and I wont be getting him again. He's not cleaning chimneys properly.

Using insulating tape on the joints where they meet the rods (not over top of the connector buttons) just to give a bit more security and to make them slip up and down the flue easier. The joints look strong but my main concern is an end connector of a rod coming off. I dont mind adding the tape. Very easy to add as they go up the flue.

Also cleaning the rods off with baby wipes and using some silicone lube on the buttons after each clean. The connectors are metal.

Really happy with it. Good build quality also. Going to do my parents chimneys later this week 👍️

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My end came off last year. Only had it a couple of years. Had to pay a chimney sweep to retrieve it, was stuck up the top. I'll pay him every October now, saves me the hassle.

I hear you. I was planning to pay a sweep twice a year after the fire we had. Much handier but I cant be dealing with lads that might clean properly or do a shyite job because theyve slept in or the job before mine overran and they're rushing.

I'll see how long my kit lasts me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

When we had an open fire I used to sweep our chimney every year but we got a stove inserted a few years ago and I'd be a bit wary of doing it myself. Mainly because of having to dismantle things first.

Ours is a large stove with a back boiler. 1 plate to lift out and the flue is open.

My parents have a smaller stove perhaps similar to yours. Screws, fire bricks and metal brackets to take out before getting to the flue. A different sweep to the one that did a half assed job at my house last week didnt bother removing any of it a couple of years ago. He did a clean from the top and left all the soot at the bottom of the flue. All the carbon monoxide alarms went off in the house and my sister was very ill after she woke up. Luckily my elderly parents were upstairs. This kind of stuff is the main reason I want to do all our chimneys myself.

Of course there are good sweeps like all professions but there are obviously some cowboys in my area. Unless someone has a way of checking the upper part of a chimney flue after a clean without going on the roof? I'd buy that gadget in the morning.

Another thing I think could help is if I swap the rods each time I do a clean.

I bought the set with 20 rods. I need 9 to do a clean so will keep 10 in a bag and 10 outside the bag and rotate them with each clean. Should help reduce the chances of any breakages.

I think unless you have a 3rd / 4th floor or a higher than average roof you wont need more than 10 rods. I have downstairs, upstairs and a high attic that could be converted to a room in future. So could be worth getting the 20 rod set and rotating rods.

There's always people looking for someone to do a proper job cleaning chimneys and I'd say you'll be owed a good few favours from friends this winter because of that kit. The difference a clean of a chimney that hasn't been done in years makes is a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement

Mrs jj880 has already commented that the house is warmer since I used the cleaning kit.

When I get half a dozen cleans done with no problems I'll send the Amazon link round to a few people and stick it on Facebook 😅. If Im getting short changed there are probably plenty in the locality getting the same.

As long as our chimney, my parents and my wife's parent's chimneys are safe that's all Im after.

Brace yourself for homemade bread, cakes and with a bit of luck some nice alcohol.

Advertisement