Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Wall Bracket

• 16-08-2024 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

I am hoping for some advice in relation to a bit of a conundrum.

We recently moved house and would like to wall mount our TV. However, the wall includes both a dado rail and dado wall panelling. We want to avoid destroying that but all of the brackets are too large to fit within the gaps between the dado (see photo below).

I am thinking that I could find some sort of spacers which would mean that the bracket would sit out from the wall itself and therefore clear the dado. However, am having trouble finding the right thing. The wall is dry lined and so am concerned that any spacer which is too narrow will increase the point of contact and penetrate the plasterboard.

Any thoughts?!?!

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi. So you don't have the bracket yet then and you can't post a photo showing the bracket up against or between the rails?

You might need to make a plate out of ply which has two or three legs which fit over the rails and support the load. Then mount the TV bracket to that. It just needs to be a few cm's wider than the bracket plate to allow the screws to hold it securely to the wall. That would also spread out the load over more of the plasterboard. Would that be an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Thanks for your reply!

No, I haven't bought the bracket yet because couldn't find one that works for the space. The vertical gap between the two dados is circa 10cm whereas every bracket that I find is either a horizontal bracket which is approx 17cm high or a vertical bracket which is circa 30cm high.

Thanks for suggestion on the plate. Is it better to create a single plate with legs, or could I use blocks of ply for each of the screws through the bracket, which would obviate the need for legs? I was looking for some sort of plastic block solution but can't find anything suitable so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is it better to create a single plate with legs, or could I use blocks of ply for each of the screws through the bracket, which would obviate the need for legs?

Blocks for each screw would do as long as the screws are long enough to get a gold hold in the block of the wall. Best check whether you also have cavity blocks or a cavity wall (using solid blocks).

Advertisement