Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of stippled? Walls

• 16-08-2024 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭

I think that's the correct way to describe the walls and ceilings in my house. Stippled, it appears to be with paint, not wallpaper.

What is the easiest, cheapest way to get rid of this horror, I can't look at it anymore!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Are you sure it's stippled wallpaper that's been painted over? Running a stanley blade along the top of the skirting board should confirm this. If it's wallpaper, stripping it back is likely to leave your walls in need of a lot of polyfilla or a full reskim tbh.

If not, I think you have two options: sand it all back (long, slow, messy) or get a plasterer in to reskim the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, it's not wallpaper, it's just paint as far as I can see, so more difficult yes?

Replastering all the walls and ceilings could run pretty expensive, I suppose.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It depends on the type of stippling too. If it's only slightly raised, you might get away with sanding and re-skimming, but we got our ceiling re-done and the plasterer had to take down the ceiling and put in new plasterboard slabs, then skim over those. We only had one room to do, the whole house would have got pretty costly.

Totally agree with you, it looks absolutely awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,377 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The walls sounds like old woodchip wallpaper, the ceilings could have plaster stippling, it was in vogue years ago.

There's no easy fix, prepare for mess and expense or learn to live with it. The former option would be the only one for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭monseiur

To minimise the mess you could run 2'' x 1'' counter battens on ceilings and fix t,g & v knotty pine or similar solid wood paneling. It looks good when finished in clear varnish and is easy DIY - the walls may not look as bad with a totally different ceiling finish

• Advertisement
Advertisement