Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Ring capabilities

• 16-08-2024 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭

I dont have a Ring doorbell and had never seen the app and how they work. But last week a neighbour showed me theirs working and tbh it annoyed me somewhat. Their view covers the front doors & windows of six other houses which is one issue but on top of that they were boasting about how the audio captures conversations between other neighbours out in the street. Which means my conversations with neighbours at my own front door have also been recorded.

Im not one of these GDPR sticklers but to me this is a level of surveillance that is too far. Especially given all these houses have tiny front gardens and it is only 2 metres from your front door to the path and roadway. The layout of the houses being tight together with small tiny front gardens means their camera is capturing everything way outside the boundaries of their property.

My question is can Rings be set up not to do this, i.e. the camera only points within the boundary of their property just 2 metres from the front door? Or is it the case that if you set it up it is going to capture everything in the line of sight regardless? Also the audio function, I was surprised it could record conversations a good 15 metres away, is this also normal with them? I ask because the neighbour said their brother is a CCTV installer and possibly he might have hacked it to make the microphone extra sensitive. Or are they just really powerful out of the box and they capture audio a good bit away from the house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yes, you can edit to zone of motion used to record visual activity, and turn off microphone. But it’s inevitable that if your neighbour wants to monitor as much of their property as possible, some external events will be recorded. As long as the camera is not pointed directly at your property with the intention of recording you, they are not doing anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Doubt very much it's picking up a normal conversation from 50 feet away. Zones can be edited but neighbour sounds like they want to see and hear as much as possible. Its just something you'll need to live with and be more careful about what type of conversations you have at your front door!

Advertisement