Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic well

• 16-08-2024 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

we have had our well drilled by a reputable company from the midlands

it’s coming in at 12g/hr at a depth of 300ft, which is just workable for a standard house 
    however our plasterers have now gone dry twice in last week when using the water for plastering, which has made us very worried 

we will have an air to water system and normal usage of water for a standard 4 bed house. 

the drilling company didn’t Devine it, they told us there is no science to it as it doesn’t represent what is going on in the rock etc. they instead drill to the best location for the site. They are 30 years in the business so hard to go against them 

We since got someone local to Devine it as they have said it’s three feet away from where it should be. 

What should I do? 
    should we re-drill at three foot away? 
    should we consider blasting the well

Or should we leave it all as is. Not sure if we should be worried or not. 
    the company doing the pumps for us are saying it will be fine for a normal household, especially with storage tank and water harvesting 

note: we are going to do water harvesting and also put a large storage unit in the shed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are you saying 12 gallons/50 litres per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mikeb1000

yes 12 gallons per hour, circa 50 litres per hour

we are looking to put in a 1,000L tank in shed - well filling it. And a 8,500L water harvesting tank. Both going through UV, filters etc and then into house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That is very nearly a dry well. Certainly wouldn't count in my part of the country. Wells can be strange. I have two relatives who built houses on adjacent sites. One got a good supply at 170ft, the other had to go down over 400ft not 50 feet between them.

If the diviner has a reputation, I would seriously consider their view. Maybe try another drilling outfit that does use a diviner. Be very open in telling your story to them. I wouldn't act the smart ass and not tell them of the dry well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭con747

That's barely enough for a few showers and other things using it. I had a well drilled recently in the midlands at 140ft and it wasn't cheap so I would be getting whoever drilled it to sort it if you haven't paid already and if you have I would be looking for a refund.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭blackbox

That's not a great flow, but I really don't think that moving it 3 feet will make any difference. The water comes from a layer of porous or permeable rock. What might make a difference is going deeper - Did the drilling company discuss or consider this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement