Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people over 40 be banned from nightclubs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I didnt experience the 90s raves but id say they were actually better that what we have today but im just saying there are still good raves these days but you wouldnt let a judgmental bore like the woman who wrote the article into said rave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

"If you're too old to know Chappell Roan, should you be in the nightclub?"

Who needs monkey pox when you have this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I had plenty of great nights in the Temple back in the early 2000s. God's kitchen, cream fields as well.

But I'm sure if I was 16/17/18 Now I'd be going to similar events of this era.

Thinking it was 'better in my day' is just the reality of aging. I couldn't have the same experiences i had back then at this age.

That's the beauty of aging, your experiences tailor to your age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Dynomutt

it’s not even original. The lazy Cowan just plagiarised an article from three years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

The problem with these types is they are authoritarians dressed up in the guise of "tolerance".

Woke as a concept is good, in fact it should be the default societal doctrine. But as with many movements the ideal has been hijacked by the extremes on both sides. One side has jumped the ideological shark and the other has turned the word into a slur. The rest left over in the middle (the majority) are left jaded by the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If young people started coming on boards and posting twaddle like that in that "piece" I'd expect them to be pulled up for promoting ageism.

And for being completely thick, for even suggesting it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hipster #!^+bag babies don't get to tell me where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

your wife speaks the truth!

Can I thank her for that. If I said that I’d get cancelled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I would too, with the way things have gone around here, as demonstrated by some of the over-the-top reactions in this thread to what was merely a tongue-in-cheek piece, that would understandably never have been meant to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭tjhook

You're right that the article wasn't meant seriously. But the author is either very naive, or she knew what the response would be. I mean if there was an article telling women what they should or should not be allowed to do, even in jest, it would attract a lot of flack. Same for a similar article dealing with almost any other group.

Given she’s a young woman, my moneys on naive 😂

Reams of articles are written every day telling women what they should or shouldn’t be allowed to do, often in all seriousness. They rarely ever receive blowback because nobody really gives a shìt. Same for every article written similarly about any group you’d care to mention. The ‘blowback’ for this article appears to be limited to a few posters on a site that has long since become irrelevant in Irish society, like old farts in a nightclub dancing like they think they’ve still got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭tjhook

Haha, maybe, but I dare you - go onto the cycling forum and write a witty post telling them what cyclists should do to stay safe. If you like I'll lend you a pair of asbestos underpants 😂

I rarely ever venture into that forum, but I’d imagine it would most likely be ignored or written off as the musings of an idiot. I’m a middle-aged man though so I don’t expect allowances should be made for that kind of stupidity, whereas a young woman writing about middle-aged men in nightclubs making an embarrassment of themselves? And she doesn’t do it in a mean or spiteful way, hence why I think the reactions here are just OTT.

I got where she was coming from, but then I knew I was past it 20 years ago, still go to the club, but no way I’d ever be seen dancing. I’ve seen men my age at it, and I’ve never been particularly impressed, so I can only imagine what a young woman half my age is thinking. At least now I know for certain what one of them thinks, as does the readership of the Examiner 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How about penning a light-hearted, humorous article about banning black people from nightclubs because she feels they shouldn't be there as they make her feel uncomfortable and see how that goes down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wonder would she get away with switching over 40s for single male refugees? seeing as they seem to be the big enemy in Ireland at the moment that its ok to hate on and demonize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭yagan

Or "women should be banned from sports events as all they ever do is talk the whole time".

Can't see the Examiner publishing that but they'll publish agist ragebait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

The same "author", who is a 20 year old Trinity student, studying English, would like to remove full stops from sentences, specifically in texts.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure she's entitled to an opinion on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Some of the most privileged and lucky men who are have ever lived giving out about ageism by throwing out every lazy trope about GenZ based on a light and frothy article.
    Self-reflection in short supply amongst Boomers and GenZ it would appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I only go to nightclubs that play Mr Vain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hilarious take from the only person here that is so embarrassed by himself he admits to hiding out on a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I haven't even read the article, I wouldn't be bothered. Just looking at the comments, which are amusing.

But this is the second time on this thread you tried to imply the "old privileged white straight male line". As if boards.ie is some homogenous group and you can look down on them pontificating from on high. As you had done in your previous post about Ian O'Doherty, Kevin Myers etc.

You must read a lot of American stuff and are really influenced by the politics there? Because that is where I believe those trendy buzzwords emerged. That is the strong impression you give. That seems to be your "thing".

But there is a world beyond that bubble. I don't know about you, but I live in Ireland. I am not too pushed about what goes on in America or "woke" this "woke" that. I am not bothered about what people do in nightclubs either. As long as they are enjoying themselves and not doing any harm to anyone let them at it.

I am more interested where you can get a good pint of porter, and maybe a nice place to watch a match too.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭growleaves

It is a light piece, not meant as much more than a throwaway joke I'd guess.

But was that your motivation for posting it? You seem to like playing on people's insecurities because you are in many threads playing a kind of 'insecurity bingo', commenting negatively on the age, appearance and habits of the 'typical' boards user or of many Irish men.

So while the piece itself is fairly innocent, this thread isn't imo. Because really you are trying to get at people and are pretty obviously motivated by spitefulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I’m not in any way “triggered “ by this article like quite a lot of people on this thread. If anything she and her ilk are more than welcome to nightclubs. They’re noisy, the bouncers are usually arseholes, the drink is overpriced & poor quality and the staff are often surly and grumpy. She’ll grow out of them herself in another 10 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

excellent....I hope in the fullness of time this gets the appreciation it deserves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Just in, Francie. Nothing to hide here. 3rd most popular participant sport in Ireland I believe. Lads of 20,40,60,80 all out. Would recommend it to anyone. Would get some lads out from behind the screen trying to right the world. Highly sociable. Bit of exercise. Some lads like myself even become good at it.

Great feed as well afterwards in the club house. Wouldn’t get that from a chip van at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Redacted Circular

Why should I care about what some zoomer retard thinks?

Warned: Uncivil

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That's a fairly sophisticated looking feed of dinner Bobson 😁

Advertisement