Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Elite Amateur s as Pros

• 16-08-2024 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭

Was thinking recently about how many of our top amateur fighters have faired as pros and honestly it's noticable the lack of successful transition. John Joe Nevin, European Gold, Olympic Silver did nothing as a pro, Mick Conlan World Gold, Olympic bronze won't ever be a top pro imo, Paddy Barnes medeled at major tournaments for years did nothing as a pro, Jason Quigley World Silver and European Gold but never matched in his pro career. Joe Ward we will wait and see but I'm not too hopeful as his career seems to be moving slowly.

Andy Lee and Ryan Burnett are the only elite amateurs I thought of that we had who also translated to the pro game. Obviously others like Frampton had excellent amateur careers but never medals at Olympics or world championship. Question is why do you think so many Irish fighters who were outstanding amateurs can't do much in the pro game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭megadodge

Delighted to see that I'm not the only one on this forum who remembers Ryan Burnett.

Advertisement