Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair Parking spots - Discrimination

• 16-08-2024 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I'm a 40 year old male, my wife is 37 and she has alot of health issues which I won't delve Into as I'd be here all day and night, but basically she has an auto-immune disease, and there's days she can walk and theres days where she needs a walking stick and can't walk far as shes in a lot of pain. Most days she needs the walking stick when going out anywhere.

She has a disability card for the car for disability parking but we try not to use them if there's a spot near to the disability parking spot we try to use that instead.

But one thing I have noticed more and more and more and it's bringing me to the reason to this post, is that we find we get dirty looks and stares whenever we park in a disability spot. It's pretty much everytime we go out now, we get filthy angry looks and staring, and again happened today an older lady walked by us as I was parking the car and she looked back at us in disgust 3 times. It annoys and angers me to no end. To the point I flash up the disability card to them and a few occasions I have actually confronted people. My wife gets very embarrassed and feels mortified. But why should she!? Doctors don't just hand out disability cards for free. You need to be genuinely disabled. It pisses me off we live in a society that looks at us like 'oh how dare you park in a disabled spot, you're young, why would YOU need that space, you couldn't possibly be sick!' Sorry but some illnesses are invisible.

I hate it for my wife and I hate that she has to be made to feel that little when out. Anyone that knows me knows I'm the quietest person I've never been in a fight or argument in my life and I hate confrontation, but this is something that I will actually confront someone over. I will hop out of the car and flash her disability card at them. Nobody knows what she goes through, nobody knows her health condition and issues she fights everyday, I just hate it for her and wish people would just F**K off and mind their own f**king business.

Has anyone else got this discriminatory attitude thrown at them or similar situation?

Post edited by Nodferatu on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Yes, I have received some such looks but I just glare back at them.

I also wouldn't give them the satisfaction of confronting them or of flashing the blue badge at them. As long as you have a badge on display, and are legally parked, you owe no one an explanation. Walk away with yours and your wife's heads up.

It's an awful pity there isn't such judgement of those who park in disability spaces WITHOUT a badge.

As an aside, get one of these for your windscreen.

Personally, I like this one, but its out of stock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw a sign on an accessible toilet in the UK yesterday.

It said "Some disabilities are not visible".

Perhaps more of these would raise awareness and make people stop to think before they rush to judge others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

I do like that, that's a good idea to put on the car. I may have to buy some stickers to put on the side windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

Saw a sign on a car in Liverpool that read something like this

"My disability is not noticeable, but I'll gladly swap it with any ailment you may have and park in the furthest spot there is too."

It was hand written and laminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Ted222

Avoid eye contact. Seriously. You’re not answerable to these people.

By accepting and acknowledging the glare, their work is done. They have successfully communicated their displeasure without having to say a word.

If their resolve is such that they contract you and speak to you directly, you have the opportunity to confirm that you’re legitimately parked perhaps with the kicker that not all disabilities are visible.

I think these people’s intentions are generally good - they just get a bit carried away. They don’t want to see these spaces used by those who don’t have a disability and they’re policing on their behalf. It’s a way of preventing a free-for-all and of ensuring that these spaces remain available for those who need them, yourselves included.

• Advertisement
Advertisement