Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service after discontinued

• 16-08-2024 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey. I'm really interested in grabbing a 2020-01 Hyundai Ioniq, but just read that they were discontinued in 2022.

How does that affect service and warranty? Surely these cars will will be on the road in 10+ years. Is there some sort of EU law that mandates support for a set time after a product is taken off the market?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Dartz

Parts for Korean cars will be as readily available after they were discountinued, as they were before.

It depends on the car/manufacturer/part. Some parts are still available for a longer time because they're still found on new cars by the same manufacturer - or other makers. Some random strange parts can go extinct very quickly.

The last car that left the production line will still have a warranty so the factory will still be backing it with a full range of spares for at least that long. And probably a few years after that.

I got recalls on my 2006 car in 2019…. and new engine parts are still available from the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭goochy

Once they can make money from parts being sold they will be made . Doesn't matter if car obsolete . Saab cars still on road a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No vendor is going to stop parts availability until their last warranties expire.

All service parts and most more complicated spares are still available for my car, which went off sale in 2008 (specific model) or 2012 (overall family), depending on how specific the part is.

I did have to put a lot of effort in to figuring out a baffling part number change that happened in the late 2019s for something very normal - brake calipers - where they got a new part number that virtually no systems reflected; but I can still get brand new OEM ones to this day if I want to.

Can't get things like new plastic body panels, seats, trim now as inventory is exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bamzilla16

Cheers guys. All great points. I'm about to drop a significant chunk of change on a vehicle with the intention of driving for as long as possible, and the last thing I want to do is shoot myself in the foot with service issues right from the start.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

From memory Hyundai guarantee supply of parts for 12 years after the model has ceased production.

Most manufacturers are in and around the same time frame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement