Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored Alarm.

• 17-08-2024 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I intend to have a monitored alarm system installed and have received two quotes for same. Phonewatch and Network Security.

Phonewatch seem quite expensive especially their monthly monitoring fee and apparently I will never have the option of owning the system outright.

Network Security are more reasonable for their installation and monitoring fees and I have the option of owning the system after 36 months. Only thing is I'm locked into a contract with them for 36 months. There is an option to buy myself out of the contract at anytime for a fee of €400 and I keep the system as a standalone alarm.

Costwise over 36months Network are better value even if I opt for the buy out option.

So,has anyone experience of either or both or are there other options I should investigate.

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Ted222

It depends what the monitored systems offer you over and above the alternatives.

A neighbour has a monitored system. When the alarm goes off, it seems to involve some guy in an office somewhere ringing around the listed key holders asking them to call over and take a look. Ultimately they might call the Gardai who eventually drive by to confirm that, yes, the alarm is ringing alright. I don’t know whether monitored systems offer anything more than this but I be interested in hearing.

I have a HKC alarm that I can operate remotely using an app on my phone. It also sends alerts when it’s activated etc. Costs a tenner a month.

Separately, I have a couple of cameras inside the house that record any movement etc. Again, I can check this remotely, this time free of charge.

So I’m aware of when the alarm goes off and I can scan around the inside of the house to make sure everything’s okay.

I’m not completely against a monitored system. I just don’t know what it could offer over and above the much cheaper alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

That's really what I need,a system that will alert me should the alarm be activated if I'm away and perhaps an app that will allow me to switch on/off the system remotely.

The need for someone other than myself to inform keyholders or Gardai isn't a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

Did some searching and came up with a company called Securigard.

They offer a self monitoring system via app for €5 monthly.

Installation of wireless system costing in the region of €1200.

Awaiting a callback to confirm details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Doolittle51

Phonewatch are a rip off and borderline scam artists. All the fancy ads and promises of guards calling over when your alarm goes off is just nonsense. I think they notify the guards if there's a double knock event (i.e. window sensor and internal PIR sensor detects movement) But there's hardly a crack team of detectives waiting around the corner. You'll be subject to the same response times as everyone else, so who knows when the guards will show up, if at all.

Their service used to be better in the past. Recently I've been called due to an alarm activation in my parents house. It was in the middle of the night, so I missed the call, as did my parents, who were away. Phonewatch made no attempt to call back and when I did go over to turn the alarm off, there was no courtesy call. In the past they used to always ring the house phone as soon as the alarm was disabled and request a codeword and ask if everything was ok. This used to be handy because the fault codes on their system disappear when you deactivate the alarm, so would be nice to have someone on the phone who could help identify which sensor caused the alarm. I tried to call their support line to help identify the problem, but of course they only work 9 to 5.

Anyway, if you're looking for a decent smart alarm, look into Ajax. There's a lengthy thread about them on here. You can do a self install with self monitoring for free via an app, or there's a crowd that use them, I think they are called homesecure. I believe they give you an option to buy the system when your contract ends.

Just be aware that if you self install, then it's not certified and therefore you can't include it on your house insurance.

Advertisement