Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fuel does my very old boiler use?

• 17-08-2024 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

We have been using solid fuel up until now but this winter may need to supplement with oil.

We have an ancient boiler that we will need to replace at some point as we will possibly switch to all oil in the coming years.

I am just after finding out some boilers use diesel and some use kerosene.

Which one does this use?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a 448T53; FWIW, the 448T54 uses kerosene:

https://www.rielloburners.co.uk/images/content/downloads/3744856_2902371-9.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

Doesn't that list both gas oil(diesel) and kerosene as fuel depending on how it is setup with kerosene as default?

Maybe I need to check with an expert to find out which way it is set?

Or maybe there is a way to tell which is which by dipping the tank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It could be set up for either. The burner is suitable for both.

If you dip the tank, kerosene sold in the south of Ireland is red in colour. Diesel/Gas Oil is clear/green.

It would benefit from a service in any case. Might be worth getting a boiler service firm out to service it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

That's the best thing to do. No point taking a risk. Thanks

Advertisement