Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for owners of both Series X and S

• 17-08-2024 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I’m pretty sure this isn’t possible, but said I’d ask on here as there’s probably users on here with both consoles, and also playing disc games.

Basically, my use case is I play a good few (disc based) 360 games on my series X, I.e Fallout 3, Max Payne 3, etc. I’d like to be able to play a bit on the bedroom TV too.

If I was to get a Series S for the bedroom TV, is there any functionality where the Series S can check in with the Series X to make sure the disc is present in the X, and let me pick up where I left off on the X, I.e I would be allowed download a digital copy on the S, same as I’ve done on the X, using the disc as proof I already own the game.

Or, is it as I suspect, if I want to play the same games on the S, I just need to purschase a digital copy too for the S?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I’m not an owner of either but I think you’re right, you’d need to purchase a digital copy on the S. Considering the 360 marketplace is now closed, I think you’ll need to use another X or 360 console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭deadduck

thanks for the reply. I had heard the 360 marketplace was shuttting down, but does that mean backwards compatible 360 games won’t be available to purchase on the series consoles? I had assumed the games would still be available, bit of a balls if that’s not the case ☹️

just had a look myself, the 360 games are still available to purchase:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Spot on, my impression was the whole store was closing but yep, like you said, the back compatible games remain available.

While you'll no longer be able to make purchases in the Xbox 360 Store or the Xbox 360 Marketplace (marketplace.xbox.com) 

after July 29, 2024, you'll still be able to make purchases for Xbox 360 and Original Xbox backward compatible content on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and xbox.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If I was you, I'd upgrade the S to an X and bring the disc between them and/or buy a second copy of the game to leave in the second X (with cloud saves so you can continue). Either way, I wouldn't be giving MS any more money for digital games that they'll eventually just drop. Especially considering the prices they're still charging...

Just my 2 cents. Only thing I noticed though is I have GP Ultimate, and the 360 ver of Max Payne 3 is "free" for me to download (to console, via the app). Maybe thats an option? Work away with disc on the X, download the digital from GP on the S and use cloud saves? Not sure if that would work tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yeah, if you want to avoid digital then another X would be cheaper than buying copies of games you already have digital and an S. Plus XBox disk games are cheap second hand. You might see an X pop up "cheap" on Amazon warehouse, especially with the new models coming out.

Also, with disk you don't have to mess around with cloud sharing, game pass subs, primary/secondary console crap, etc etc, and you can always trade it in if you don't like it to CEX.

thanks for the responses. It’s a shame it can’t work as I suggested, but I’m not surprised either. Looks like my options are get a second X, or go with the S and purchase digital (but for more reasonable prices from the likes of Kinguin)

Advertisement