Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options when buying a 2nd hand bike from the UK

• 18-08-2024 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Have a question for the masses. I'm trying to assess the current situation re VRT and VAT when:

1. Purchasing a bike in the UK mainland and importing directly into ROI
    2. Purchasing a bike that's been re-registered in NI after originally being registered in mainland UK

According to the Revenue website:

Registering vehicles from Northern Ireland (NI)
    Vehicles that were previously in use in NI
    A vehicle that has previously been in use in NI can be registered for Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) in the State without liability to additional Customs Duties and import Value-Added Tax (VAT). Proof will be required that the vehicle has been in private ownership for a reasonable period of time.
    Proof that the vehicle was previously in use in NI prior to purchase includes:
    a copy of the V5C showing the last registered keeper in NI and a date of registration to that keeper
    a Ministry of Transport (MOT) test history in NI.

I wonder what a 'reasonable amount of time' means? 6 months, 1 year? Bottom line is I'm tentatively looking at a bike in the UK, but want to assess the options available and the associated costs.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dubal2008

for cars, it's 3 months up north

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hatcho

Cheers for the info dubal. Do you have know if this information is published online anywhere e.g. Revenue website or similar? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dubal2008

Nothing on the limit is written on Revenue website but a friend in the car business has told me that they use 3 months as a rule of thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭baz69

I have just completed importing bike from uk mainland, here's my thoughts, would I do it again only if I git a bargain, which I did otherwise no, here's a rough idea purchase price £1350,cost of transport €450,customs clearance agency €145,then customs itself €509,duty €123,which consist of, purchase price converted in euro add on shipping then combined price in euro 23% vat 6%duty ,which brought me up to roughly €3200 ,only because I got a deal did I do it,otherwise no way will get from Germany again next time.

Advertisement