Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are 3 like as a network?

• 18-08-2024 9:42am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok heres the story - Ive been with Eir for the last 20 years or so - Well originally Meteor.

Last upgrade I did with them was 2020 and that was for 2 years. Switched to sim only in 2022 because at the time their upgrade options were terrible - over priced and very little range of phones. Theyve gotten progressively worse with the range still fairly crap and I now need to upgrade 2 phones.

Was in a 3 shop yesterday and was offered Iphone 13 (my wife) and a Samsung s24 both for free - S24 on the 60 a month and the Iphone on the 45 a month. If I switch both phones they`ll also give me 10% off the monthly price.

Ive never switched networks before so Im asking if the process is smooth, is the above deal a good deal?

Is there better out there?

Ideally I wanted a Pixel 8 pro - Currently using a 6 pro and I really like the googles phones. I usually stay one generation behind so the 8 would be ideal but 3 say its discontinued yet its listed on their website.

What other networks are there and are easy to deal with?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Shoog

3 has decent network coverage and reasonable speeds. We are pay as you go at €20. For 28days. We never run out of credit or data and roaming is covered in the UK. Their website is fairly dire though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

You are taking a huge risk locking two expensive phones for 2 years into a network that you haven't proven in your specific location. Don't listen to people's opinions about other areas. Your location(s) is specific to you - and networks vary significantly, particularly indoors. Around where I live, Eir have in-filled with 5G monopoles, and have by far the best coverage. Neither of the other two networks have bothered, and neighbours complain about indoor coverage. However, your area could be different.

In my opinion, you are better to ignore the "upgrade" deals from the networks and just buy your phones outright, and get the cheapest Sim-only deal you can get to meet your needs. Eir €9.99pm unlimited 5G is hard to beat, if you are able to bundle with fibre-broadband. GoMo €14.99pm is also good - and either of these options will ensure that you continue to get the good coverage that you are accustomed to from Eir. Eir and GoMo are also the only providers to fully support WiFi calling, including use while roaming, which can save a fortune if you are outside EU. Then you can buy SIM-free phones, new or refurbished anywhere, and you can also change network without being locked to a contract.

Advertisement