Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terror threat moved to substantial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gotcha thanks, didn't know that.

Religions are such nonsense in the modern world. All of them. Complete hindrances.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

From the article that started this thread:

Mr Harris was responding to a question about reports in the Sunday Times that Garda Commissioner Drew Harris had written to Minister for Justice Helen McEntee to advise her that he has raised the threat level posed by violent political extremists from moderate to substantial.

Leaving aside your cheap dig why do you think the Taoiseach should cut down on journeys and visits?

Also a general point also for anyone who didn't read the article and just the clickbait thread title:

In a statement, gardaí said it deems the overall national threat level to be moderate - this means that a terrorist attack is possible but not likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Of course Simon had to met Tim Burton, the good of the country depended on it, I stand corrected about unnecessary visits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's an election coming, that's what the noise is about. Fine Gael wants to remind everybody that they're the law & order party and we should all be worried about 'threats' and vote them back in to deal with matters.

Sorry buds, three terms is one too many already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Is that the Royal we? do kids coming from school, priests and people in general going about their day have concerns of attack from the 'far right'? seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chooey

as someone who has kids coming and going to school, that would be very low on my list of concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Eh no. We are all still on the hook for what government employee Neary said. The same as we are paying for the government’s failure to correctly certify defected concrete blocks which will cost taxpayers over 3.5 billion. So no, what people who speak for their employer, in this case the Irish government, has consequences. Billions of them.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Tbh my top 3 concerns currently would be - in no particular order - getting the ailment I’m living with at the minute sorted; hoping that the government give the power dig out again this year as I could do with it and that I can afford new specs when the time comes.

The mythical far right are not even on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Dear Allah,

If you're going to blow up the Luas please do it when I'M ON THE WAY to work.

If you do it when I'm on the way home I'll be very disappointed.

Warned: Trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭BagofWeed

We have good ol' Hamas founded by Israel and the lads themselves Al Qaeda founded by the US and here on our very own island we have various Loyalist paramilitaries helped and supported by GB. Strange that, one would think there maybe is some agenda at play, money ? power ? control ?

Interesting also how the whack jobs who do the horrible acts tend to have been noticed, watched, on the radar or the classic, had a history of extremist beliefs. Almost like they are allowed to pose a threat or even worse, helped on their way.

Strange stuff indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Tbf, them lads would be more likely to be up early in the morning, you'd catch the home-grown lads on the way home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

True, those 5 prayer times a day needs a good early start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

it's gas the way for years they (welcome) let anyone come into the country said nothing about terrorism, it's like they're trying to blame the Irish people for protesting as a threat... 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Eudaimonia

It appears that the army are fuelling fear in this country and using unfortunate events to stoke fires in the far right who are a far greater terrorism threat to this country than foreign terrorism. How are we to know that rogue ex defence forces member aren’t stoking the fires and even staging false flag events to benefit their ex colleagues. It has been shown that these ex members are in many ways immoral and live in a world of political subversion and have no qualms using these tactics to enrich themselves and their colleagues.

You say that the lefties kept our Gardai and Defence Forces neutered but the last time I looked it was the lefties posing a terror threat on this island. They consider themselves the true defenders of Ireland, incorrectly, and while it is true that the left in conjunction with Irish neutrality sought to lessen their abilities the right have also coincided with this objective.

If we look at the supporters of the defence forces on this very message board and across the political spectrum they are becoming far more political in their attempts to influence policy and have their way which is deeply concerning. Defending the country is one thing but seeking to alter the course of events is and should be beyond the remit of their powers. They should be there to serve and not influence policy on defence.

Secondly, our peace keeping mission in Lebanon almost ended in tragedy recently and we have no competence to defend those soldiers in such an event that they are targeted given our resources. Cathal Berry has said that it is not possible to withdraw them and create a vaccumm or give incentive to target peace keeping missions to Hezbollah. I think we are required to pull them out at this stage given the agitation of the supporters of the defence forces and their attempts to influence policy. By that I mean we have no resources to defend them and don’t want to further give motivation to their cause to further attempt to influence political policy and effect events in this country.

That should quieten down those calls for money, influence and resources to fund them. Obviously they need substantial further funding but with the recent bad press they have gotten for serving members committing crime and not seeking to defend the public we are at an impasse. Drinking and rowdiness in barracks, news of lack of discipline and crime of members and ex members, large scale corruption in their political view points which has led to the tip of the ice berg being exposed in fuelling anti-western movements and military forces.

Which leads me to extremism coming from the top of the political spectrum int his country and it stoking fired of extremism on other areas. The stand point of this country and it’s rampant almost globally known anti semitism. It is clear to the countries of Europe and the United States that Ireland has a deep rooted sense of injustice for the Palestinians. Michael Martin, Michael D Higgins and most of FF and SF are rampantly trying to prevent a genocide which is admirable but the rejection of the Israeli state and their right to defend themselves has been a long known position of the Irish nation internationally. Why this deep rooted rejection of Israel? Most of the western world is calling for two state solution but it seems the support of the opposing force in the Middle East is an Irish cause which would put us almost into inquisition levels of anti semitism. Michael Martin and his pals are playing the genocide card for Ireland and the Palestinians in a sinister way claiming withholding food is genocide before the ICJ. He is scrambling to make political ground in an international crisis. The gombeenism goes deep in this country.

Which brings me to electric picnic and use of music for a political platform to influence our youth and pressurise young people into taking positions. We have seen that kneecap, yes a band that articulate criminal acts that would be deemed torture and war crimes were the troubles to be deemed a war, by the very use of their name. Agitating against the 1 Million Unionist and Protestants on this island is a low, low level to which to stoop in trying to influence our youth. Taking positions, causing divisions and strife and playing the victim is a sure fire way to inflame tensions on this island again and it is irresponsible of them to do so. Saying there is a genocide in the Middle East highlights their affiliation with Palestinians and at the same time saying that Ireland is occupied is hypocritical. They are at once defending the oppressed from being wiped out while at the same time calling for the 5million Catholics to dominate and push out the dissenters or Protestants of this island. To over power them per se.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I can assure you, tis the far Roih who you should fear not the person who will stab you with a meat cleaver.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but a clown on Twitter is a threat to my national security...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

When these tossers called a government normalise terrorism and say its expected. Its time for radical political change

Warned: Uncivil - make your point without name calling

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Nah bullshit the same people were kicking off about the covid lockdowns beforehand. It's just that post pandemic the foreigners became the new targets of their ire.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I know lots of people pro lockdown and pro covid restrictions, as I’m one and on record here ad nauseam about… yet I have grave concerns and reservations about the manner of and levels of immigration into this country. And the possible / probable security and social implications and risks for us all due to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm just going to pull you up on this one as you may have only been listening to RTE for your truth (y'know, because truth matters)

"In response to the growing concern throughout the country at the government’s immigration policy, senior figures have responded by insisting that fingerprinting and checks for criminal records are carried out when migrants claim asylum here. 

Now, breaking information released by the Department of Justice has shown that no such checks against a criminal database are, in fact, carried out.

So what about other databases? Nolan [Carol - TD] asked:” Are the applicant’s fingerprints checked against any other databases to see if they have a criminal record?”.

The Department revealed that checks are only made against the Schengen Information System (SIS) – which, again, is not a criminal database. SIS contains information about false documents or identification which has been captured by an EU member state or the Schengen associated countries (Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland) – and also shares alerts about outstanding arrest warrants or vulnerable persons. It does not record a person’s criminal history or records.

Minister for Integration, Roderic O’Gorman, told the Journal in December that: “When an International Protection applicant arrives in the country, they’re fingerprinted. Their fingerprints go through two databases. One to see if they’ve been involved with the immigration authorities in any other EU member state and the other to see if they’ve been involved in criminality in any other member state”.

According to the Department of Justice, this is not the case. Neither Eurodac nor SIS are criminal databases."

My God, was Roderic lying there? - Shocking stuff from a highly respected Govt minister

It's from Gript, a media outlet that the Govt doesn't like for some unknown reason -

https://gript.ie/revealed-asylum-seekers-fingerprints-not-checked-against-criminal-databases/

I couldn't find a comparably scathing article on RTE's site (after a good ol search) but I did find an article on newstalk where they did kind of destroy Leo's open letter to the Sindo where it does look like he was lying his face off

https://www.newstalk.com/news/varadkars-letter-is-a-poor-attempt-to-explain-the-asylum-seeker-process-1631958

Didn't the guards say that there was an islamic terrorist motive behind it? An attack on an army barracks would be classed as a terrorist attack in my book imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

That’s excellent that post. There’s been posts stating 100% categorically that everyone who arrived in Ireland by whatever means is fingerprinted and checked on a comprehensive database.

Good to have it confirmed that was as expected, a lorry load of old poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Who the fook wants another lockdown. If monkeypox becomes rampant. Are you prepared for such an event. People got pissed off due to the unprepared public services and government. You are too docile and agree with remember gobshites that run the country into the ground in 2008. Nodding heads which i find really really weird. Accept accept. You think these prople arent human and arent complete fook ups in lots of ways. Corruption is rampant jn political circles throughout the world.

Warned: You've already been warned about keeping it civil and dropping the name calling. Please attempt to post coherently.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

I didn't understand a single word you said there.😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

welp I've got a months supply of toilet paper.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Deleted

Advertisement