Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing cistern by cutting overflow pipe

• 18-08-2024 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have to replace the siphon on my Shires model toilet. On this model, the inlet is on the right and the overflow is on the left, both right angled straight into the tile for my maximum convenience:

Looks like the overflow pipe is pushed over the pipe that goes outside so maybe the toilet was installed and then a plastic overflow pipe pushed in from outside. Seems designed to annoy me anyway.

I can't see any way to get the cistern up but to cut off the overflow and blank it off. I can get a siphon with a built in internal overflow then.

Is this usual for plumbers to have to deal with? Seems to be a pain in the backside.

At least the close coupled wingnuts look fine but the cistern screws are lumps of rust because of course they are. So I'll have to have a hacksaw blade handy anyway 😒

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi ya. Just guessing here but loosen off the nut on the inlet and the retaining screws on the cistern and the wingnuts, then give it good shake and see if the overflow frees up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭carveone

I'll try that, thanks. It depends on whether the overflow connection is solvent welded to the overflow pipe or not. If not, it might pull off and save me some messing. I'll gather the parts anyway and give it a go. Sure if everything goes pear shaped, I can call a Real Plumber and use a bucket (to pour water into the toilet, not to use instead! 😄)

Advertisement