Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private 5G: A Systems Approach free ebook

• 18-08-2024 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was recently curious about how mobile networks work behind the scenes and found this online ebook

https://5g.systemsapproach.org/

It's a pretty good read for anyone who has ever wanted to know about mobile networks. It's mainly focused on 5G but there's a lot of explanations about how things worked on earlier generations and why this has changed

Being a book focused on systems engineers, it doesn't dive deeply into any particular technology involved but is more about how they join together

While you'll need some understanding of computer networking, it's probably one of the easier going explanations out there

There's even an experiment section where you can setup your own 5G network. Before anyone gets excited thinking they've just hacked free mobile data for life, I'm pretty sure you'd be doing well to get 100m of range from the gear they used in the book

Anything more powerful and you'll likely have ComReg asking difficult questions about why you're blasting unlicensed packet radio across the countryside 😉

Still, I can't help but be amused at the idea of pirate mobile data as a successor to pirate radio 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement