Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black screen after login

• 18-08-2024 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Using a HP laptop, running Windows 11. All updates in place. Three months left on the warranty.

Over the last few days, I am having this issue.

HP logo appears as normal, the prompt for my PIN comes up but as soon as I input same, I get a black screen.

To resolve, I am hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE, selecting Restart and when I do that, the laptop boots normally after I input my PIN.

Any idea on what's causing this and how to properly fix?

The workaround works ok but I am concerned that the issue may get worse.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try the fn key combo to switch video output when at the black screen. It may be trying to default to an unconnected monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭Damien360

My HP laptop (zbook firefly, if that matters for OP) did similar when I happened to be impatient and closed the laptop when it was doing a update. It was taking ages. As it happened it was a BIOS update and it stayed in a black screen loop on wolf security screen. My own fault. I had to reimage to recover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It was stated "after PIN" - past BIOS already, windows loading user profile.

OP, once in, try to create another profile (user) , make it administrator. Try sign in with it to see if issue persist.
    check and disable "fast startup" in power options
    sfc /scannow
    and DISM commands will do no harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Thanks everybody.

@smuggler.ie - I created a new profile. Signs in without a problem. Then I made it administrator. Signs in without a problem. If I hit Switch User, I can sign in with the main account without an issue.

Had already disabled fast startup.

Will try those commands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

record new user creds, you dont have to use this account, but if its functional then you have spare profile to work on should issue arose with your current profile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement