Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Relief for Third Level Tuition fees

• 18-08-2024 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I am about to sign up for a third level course. It is a two year part-time course, the fee for the first year is €3,732 and it is noted that the fee for the second year is subject to change, but Id imagine it will be the same or similar.

Do I have to claim the relief separately for each year or could I claim relief on the full amount paid for the course, as I understand that this second option would result in a higher amount of relief?

If option two is possible, do I have to wait until the end of the 2nd year to claim this?

Hope my question is clear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,541 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In any year, you can only claim relief for for fees that you actually pay in that year. You can't claim relief in this tax year for fees that you intend or expect to pay in future tax years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As you may know, its not the full whack that is allowed

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/education/tuition-fees-paid-for-third-level-education/how-do-you-calculate-the-relief.aspx

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement