Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captains/Presidents prize

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Quahog217

He is on the club committee not the handicap committee but they wouldn't do anything anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

well you have to ask

Them if they refuse without valid reason and if there is valid reason that something should be done (we don’t know based on what you have told us) then you make complaints to golf Ireland

Simply moaning about it on the internet will not get you anywhere

That's a fair point will look into the golf ireland side of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭coillcam

Exceptional score reduction is -1 when 7 shot better than HC and -2 for 10 shots better. It gets applied to the last 20 scores and only buffers out fully when 20 new scores come in.

@token56, there's a reason why most clubs now have a maximum handicap limit and require a full developed index (20+ scores) to win their comps. The wildest scores are usually from players who are new goflers with large handicaps. They rapidly drop their index and are almost guaranteed to have some huge scores within 6-12 months. Once they play more over time the handicap eventually aligns with their ability.

If yer man in this case is clearly sandbagging as soon as majors are done I'd be raging to not see it dealt with. I don't know what GI will do here tbh, they'll probably say talk to the handicap committee/secretary. If it was my club I round up a bunch of lads and vote some genuine people into committee roles to clean it up. You'd be surprised how much a small group can impact a club's trajectory. Worth considering canvassing now, well in advance of the AGM.

Regardless, it's another reason why the upward movement of handicaps needs to be restricted further. Allowing 5 shots back to a low single-digit player who's not experienced genuine physical/medical difficulties is just not realistic or fair. Too easy to manipulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Interesting article -

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2021/12/03/first-year-of-whs-has-not-gone-well-2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭big_drive

Think a definite issue is that you can move your handicap very quickly in WHS. Before in old system the most you could get was a 0.1 back.

Now you can put in casual rounds plus 9 hole scores are allowed. Previously guys had to wait for a competition but now if they have the time available you could get multiple scores submitted in a week. I know in my club there's no fee to submit casual rounds, so the bandits don't even have to pay to build their handicap. At least before they'd have to do it through a competition and pay the entry fee.

So it's become easy enough to shoot a good score, win a prize and have the shots you lost gained back in a couple weeks ready to win another competition.

Thank you....don't want to mention names but as you can see there is no point in bringing this issue to the club.....nothing will be done.

One other note, I'm 99% sure one of the handicap committee has recently started working for golf ireland in some capacity......how fooooked up is that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

will look out for him so when the boards GS hit there in a few weeks time 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I still haven't read how you effectively manage this to stop it happening. Without really going after specific people. And people like this can be litigious. It could be a minefield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thewobbler

One solution might be to implement a “designated events” tool using WHS data.

This is back of a cigarette packet calculations, but say clubs were able to allocate up to 4 “designated events” per annum.

• each player’s handicap index on the day is derived from their single lowest index during the past calendar year.
    • A minimum of 6 qualifying rounds would be required to enter the event.
    • the maximum handicap for designated events would be 36.

I’m not saying this would definitely work. And I do think it would be a slow burner to get going. But I do believe that after 2-3 seasons, these “designated events” would either a) be the ones that members really cherish, or b) would prove my other longstanding theory that if there’s 100 mediocre golfers in a field, then at least one of them is going to shoot his lights out on any given day…. which isn’t cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 muck.savage

There was a captain's day played over 2 weekends in a club in West of ireland in first full year of WHS. The eventual winner had a great first round, so got cut. Then played a load of casual rounds during the week. He had a higher handicap for the second weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't like the idea of naming and shaming the guy publicly. Aside from anything, we have no idea how accurate the OP is. It is easy enough for someone with an agenda to come onto a anonymous forum and put up a scurrilous story about someone. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I'd want to be certain of the story before discussing it with his name attached.

I'm not accusing you of lying OP and I acknowledge you didn't name him. But bashing someone based on an anonymous post on the internet is a dangerous practice. And anyone doing it should have a think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly this, its almost impossible to prove anything. IMHO, Golf Ireland won't go near an alleged situation like this with a 10 foot barge pole.

The worst thing is I knew when I paid my 25 quid to enter I had no chance but still done it haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Closing thread and deleting indications of person and club involved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement