Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic and Archaeological Heritage Bill 2023

• 19-08-2024 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I've just been informed by an archaeologist from the NMI that a licence would now be required to fieldwalk for flint scatter, etc., under the new Historic and Archaeological Heritage Bill 2023. It doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, and was wondering if anyone knows why this was brought about? I've been fieldwalking a particular site for the past 17 years or so, and when I've found anything of interest have recorded it meticulously, and in turn have reported it to the NMI. An ordinary joe soap like myself is unlikely to be granted a licence, and it has greatly disappointed me. It seems bizarre to me that if I find a flint flake in ploughsoil that I could face prosecution for just picking it up! That sounds a little dramatic, I know, but this measure just seems to be ridiculously draconian.

Advertisement