Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 5150

• 19-08-2024 2:41pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently acquired a new unused laptop, minus the charger. Despite my best efforts I have been unable to discover exactly which charger i should be looking for. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

If you're in Dublin go into George's street there's a Chinese repair shop it's on the dunnes stores side of the street and it's opposite euro express store.

The guy on the left - there are two shops beside one another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That’s an oldie, must be 20 years old at this stage! It took either a Dell PA-10 (90 watt) or a PA-13 (130 watt) depending on its configuration.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

yea its an oldie. 70 year old neighbour bought it for a pc lesson in the local school, and passed away shortly after, and thats how it came to me, unused apart from the lesson. I would like to get it back up and running for sentimental reasons.Its in as new condition with windows xp ha, ha.

Very rarely in Dublin now.But thanks anyway.

It says on the back " For use with adaptor PA-10 or PA-13 " if thats any help. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That came out in 2003/2004 timeframe…

You're looking for a 90W or 130w AC adaptor.

It'll sort of run off a 65w but won't charge the battery.

Other than some of the XPS models the vast majority of Dell laptops will run off the same AC Adapters , certainly those of a similar vintage but most would come with a 65w - The 5150 was a chunky yoke even for back then so needs the larger power source.

All the older model Dell adapters came with a larger barrel connector (see below) - The newer ones had a much thinner one before then transitioned to the USB-C style ones today.

Quick google shows a few available for sale in the €50 to €60 range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I've got one those <cough> drawers, but it's actually a press which I've all sorts of shyte in it.

The above picture triggered a memory of me having some old, old, old Dell laptops with those power supplies. So I dug around and found this, which says it's PA-10 family, but it doesn't seem to say what wattage it outputs. The barrel (top right corner) is a little on the large side, so this may be for a docking station, which may or may not be in there too (didn't want to wake up the spiders at this time of night).

I'd be happy to give it free to a good home @kadman if you want to DM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

PA-10 is 90 watt. These Dells used that chunky barrel for the laptops as well as the docks.

Advertisement