Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Screen Wash Reservoir

• 19-08-2024 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

A really trivial query: the screen wash reservoir in my car is located quite low down in the engine compartment. It has quite a long "neck" up to the cover. The cover has a thin strip of plastic attached to it - a foot long at least - which goes down into the neck.

What is the possible function of that plastic strip?

I'm just curious - it's not keeping me awake at night or anything like that!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SVI40

It may be to check the level of the fluid. One of my cars have a tube, and you placed your finger over the top of it, then removed it and it gave the level of the fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Marlay

Or it stops you losing the cover maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Buffman

It's to help prevent you loosing it, the lids will either be tethered to the car somehow like all those new bottle caps or be untethered and loose with the long strip of plastic.

Or in my case anyway it seems to be there to make refilling as awkward as possible as if you don't fully remove it, it can catch the water on the way down and pull the lid back closed mid fill! 😂🤣

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

It's not a tube (just a strip), so not useful for indicating the amount of screen wash in the reservoir.

When I top up, I remove the cap, together with the tethered strip, so I don't think it prevents the cap being lost / misplaced.

It's one of the great mysteries of our time. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

I imagine it's exactly like an oil dipstick, you pull it out, wipe it, dip it back in and then it gives you the level of screenwash remaining.

Sounds like a lot of faff though, my car just tells me when it's low 🙂

• Advertisement
Advertisement