Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner manager issues

• 19-08-2024 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Work for a family in a company situation. Its become toxic to the two main players. I am employed as a FC role for 7 years. Despite asking I have not received a contract or employers handbook.

This job suits my family situation and normally I can suck it up and get on with it. I am good at my job with 20+ years experience. When I started the company was insolvent now it is profitable and run well. I have written comendations from senior party players as to my role in this.

For the last ten months the relationship between the directors has disintegrated. In a power play one has seized control of the bank and I am not given key financial information or access to it. Last week while begging for basic information I said that this could be construed as constructive dismissal or work place bullying. I am also the only employee being ignored and hampered in this way. No reply but some information was given the next day. I have addressed it with one director who was positive but feels his hands are tied as he can get no good of the other party. I have 3 times requested a face to face with the other director but no reply and again this week no information in what is a key week of business with payments etc. It is starting to grind me down. I had a huge family bereavement last year and life is too short.

I have touched base with the WRC and have a form. I also have plenty of snidey belittling emails as evidence which feels very petty to go into as well as lots detailing the lack of information. However if I go down this road is there any way back . . . I am old enough and bold enough to understand that not everyone will like me in life and vice versa but we just need to work together and move forward. Just wondering if anyone has similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

Can you not just send a mail to all directors and say I cannot process payments this week due to not having the banking details, payments will not be paid until I have this - please instruct me what to do next . A very polite mail to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Deeec

Find a new job and leave. That situation is only going to get worse - it sounds nightmare situation. Leave and let the company go bust - then they will appreciate you.

Dont bother with the WRC. Word gets around and if it becomes known that you went to the WRC you make yourself very unattractive to any new potential employer. You have to weigh up whether its worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Hang on. You are a Financial Controller and can't access basic account information? A meeting needs to be called to rectify this. As said above, an email to point out that you can't complete your duties going forward should get some attention.

Your contract and handbook should have been sorted 7 years ago. You are leaving that a bit late. It's also a separate issue. One thing at a time.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Deeec

Most family owned companies dont have a handbook, dont know what a contract is etc - they have no understanding of HR . By the sounds of it the OP is stuck in between 2 fueding owners. There is no point emailing anyone as they will get nowhere- just leave is the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭molly dolly

I have and am getting no response and Deeec is right. I've likened it to a bad divorce. Absolutely toxic but my work is suffering. However its rock and a hard place as despite the op I do generally like working here and it suits family commitments in a way somewhere else might not. But its probably coming to a point where I look elsewhere.

I've never considered the wrc before and it was only on the radar as I thought maybe just getting the letter would shake the obstructer up to at least let me do my job and I could pull the complaint before the case was called and thats why I wondered are there ways back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

I think if you go to the WRC then you might as well leave or will have to afterwards anyways. Id keep with the emails, each time you cannot do a task then send an email to the owners and state the task and the reason it cannot be done and keep a printed copy of these mails for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭molly dolly

thanks for the advice. I'm taking a step back from going nuclear. Will keep my eyes and ears open if something else opens up. Head down arse up and continue trying to do my best and work on not getting wound up by what I cannot control or get too involved in family politics.

Advertisement