Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Bench Support Ideas?

• 19-08-2024 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Just throwing this out there, really, lads.

Got a big ol' kitchen counter top. Pushing two inches thick, chipboard, I shouldn't wonder. Thought it could make a better work top, for me, than the one inch, deal planks I currently have.

Thing is; My planks are supported by two pillars of concrete blocks. c.17 x 8"? Two, hollow, cells. Them. And, the blocks have shifted, atop themselves, quite alarmingly, really. Me, hammering and banging. Can't go on.

Anyone find fault in my just 'Laying' the blocks? Cement the things to the floor and themselves. Build two pillars. Oh! LOL! Sorry: Concrete floor, of course! 😁

Something to do with wood, on top of them? Vaguely … something about anchoring the work top. Haven't thought that far yet. Just bouncing it around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Poetry sectionn is here:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/creative-writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Mix up some mortar and lay the blocks. You could lay them on their side so you have a flat surface to fix bolts from the bench into. Recess the bolt heads into the bench. Chipboard bench not ideal but it might last a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Stigura

" You could lay them on their side so you have a flat surface to fix bolts from the bench into. "

Ooh! I like that! I was a little concerned it might 'weaken' them? Dunno what I was thinking. (Seldom enough do!) In truth though? Not like I'm a Scania mechanic. I'm not gonna be dropping huge lumps on it. Even any really zealous hammering, with my 20oz, can be taken to the floor in there.

I Would like to lessen the Bounce though! 😬 I tend to gather three pin plugs. Yeah? Don't ask why. Beat something, on the planks? Plugs, everywhere. Bouncing to the floor. Drives me mad. 🤔 Hmm. Big 'Lintels', front and back, lengthways? Take a fair bit of bounce out? 4x3's?

Been down the stables, since. Top's down there. Not 2". 1 1/2" ? Good six foot long. Could be two foot, ' at least ' wide? Nice depth, anyway. And, I crave the formica stuff. My planks are rough and unsealed. They get blood and fat on them. Gnarly 😕 Be lovely to wipe it down with a disinfected cloth.

Yep. Thanks for that 🙂

Anyone else got any ideas? Ooh! Behind it? On the wall? Do we still do Peg Board? Or is there some new, fancy, better and hellishly decadently priced stuff out there, waiting to make me skinter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

That worktop will bounce with easy hammering, unless well supported. I would try to get some heavy timbers under; old fence posts etc, cemented into the blockwork.

Also If you could mount it on some rubber or heavy foam, it makes the whole thing so much more comfortable to work on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Stigura

Fence Posts! Wow! 😁 What an absolutely brilliant idea! That's Sneaky!

• Advertisement
Advertisement