Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Let and Retirement

• 20-08-2024 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

My wife and I currently live abroad and are looking 5 years down the road. We are considering purchasing a home in a seaside town in Ireland, finding a letting agency and putting the house into the holiday let market until we are ready to move back and retire.

Any advice appreciated but I have a couple of "macro" questions. Anyone have more direct knowledge and insight into the Irish real estate market? What do you think is going to happen to house prices in the next 5 years? Anyone with knowledge of the holdiay let market? We aren't really looking or need an income stream. It is more about keeping the house lived in rather than empty. And, as a holiday let rather than long term let we can use the house on the odd occasion ourselves.

Overall, any thoughts on our somewhat vague plan!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Prices are gone through the roof, they've doubled since 2019 in some places and there seems to be huge demand.

Have you any idea on location. I think price is nearly prohibitive at this stage but no sign of it stopping. I do think something needs to give though, when and what I've no idea.

Holiday let market is strong, again depending on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭PhotogTom

We are thinking Clare, Kerry or W Cork. I'm thinking the same things that are attractive to us will make it attractive to the holiday let market.

I know prices are high but it is what it is. So, I'm thinking better to pull the trigger now than wait for them to go even higher.

Advertisement