Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hackers and Scammers

• 20-08-2024 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else being plagued by them? I was alerted to some weird stuff coming from my WhatsApp account so I alerted people on Facebook that I had probably been hacked. I immediately starting getting offer to help but they all looked suspicious, especially the ones looking for my password!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If you post anything on Facebook, Instagram, Shitter, etc. about account hacking/problems, you will get bombarded (as you have) by bots that are looking for such posts and recommending you talk to/connect with somebody that helped them in the past … you're right to be cagey, they are ALL scammers.

Talk (actually speak) to the people that said they were getting weird stuff from your WhatsApp account and try to find out what's going on there. Post back here and we'll go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There is a new one on WhatsApp.

I got a message on WhatsApp saying I sent you a code by mistake, it's urgent can you send it to me.

Then I go a text from WhatsApp with a code

Then I got an notification from WhatsApp (the app itself) that they'd send me a code if it wasn't me do nothing.

I think what's going on is that they've setup a WhatsApp account on a PC and tired to pair it with my phone. If you fall for it and send the code you they now have the ability to send messaged from your account. I don't know if they get access to your contacts.

I blocked the number on WhatsApp but got sent the code once more. The number was from a business so I sent them a text to let them know and a few days later they got back to me saying thanks it's sorted (and could I send them a text with my IBAN for a gift to say thank you.)

Advertisement