Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Fuel in Co. Mayo

• 20-08-2024 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I purchased a small terraced home in Co. Mayo and wondering what the best solid fuel for an open fireplace (on my list to replace, but won't be this year).

We have an oil boiler for central heating, but looking to make use of the the fireplace for some additional sitting room heat. I am from North America, where burning anything but hardwood would be frowned upon. What would be the typical choice here, assuming either coal of some sort or do people burn softwood, hardwood or a combination of all of the above? Any one have good suppliers they could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭monseiur

Kiln dried ash is the best but not cheap. Coal on it's own will work or can be mixed with air dried softwood. I can't recommend a supplier as I'm not from the area but your local hardware store should be able to advise you. If you can get your hands on a few dry timber pallets - cut them up and split, they make great kindle wood

Advertisement