Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanics taking the p*ss

• 20-08-2024 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Would like some advise on this….. Had an ABS brake issue on my car. Took it to a reputable garage about 30 minutes from me as they had the diagnostic equipment to check older models. Was advised by the reception the fee for diagnostic was €50. Brought the car along and a member of staff hooked it up to a scanner and proceeded to fiddle with it for 45 minutes. The owner came out after speaking to him and told me the ABS pump appeared to be faulty but more investigation would be needed and it may need to be removed and sent to a refurbing company. I agreed to book the car in again a couple of weeks later to complete this job. I also asked them to give the car a once over while on the lift to check for wear n' tear and age related issues that might need addressing and to give me a list of these items.

Took the car back, dropped it in at 10am. At 4pm that day, I got an invoice emailed to me for work completed of €200. Soon after I got a call to say car was ready for collection. Spoke to owner again on my return. He said the ABS pump was indeed faulty and it would need to be removed and sent to a 3rd party to refurb it. On the other issues I wanted checked he said to "try a new sensor first and see how it goes" and when asked about the suspension and control arms etc, he said two ball joints needed changing and "there was another yolk that wasn't put on right before, that should come off and be done again" He said it was his employee who found it, but he was now gone home and he couldn't tell me what the thing actually was! He wasn't interested in giving me any resolution of any kind, just that this much was done. Pay for it. Then we move onto the next step. The invoice was inclusive of the €50 diagnostic fee plus 2 hours labour.

I had some kind of gut feeling that told me to get a second opinion before going down this very expensive route. I decided to try a "low tech" local mechanic in the meantime who hasn't got a receptionist or all the latest equipment. I told him the whole story. He had the car for 3 days and discovered that the ABS pump wasn't actually faulty. The issue was a fuse or relay in the glovebox. Possibly a bad contact. Once that was cleaned up and reinstalled, hey presto, the ABS issue is gone.

If I buy a TV from Curry's and it won't switch on when I get it home, I can return it for another one or full refund. What are my rights here as regards a pisspoor service that lead me astray and eagerly ripped me off in the process. I obviously want to go back and demand a refund but I don't know where I stand here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

You don't have much recourse, outside of going back to the garage, being as reasonable as you possibly can be, in explaining that you were charged €200 for a misdiagnosis, and you're not happy about it.

When you say reputable garage, are they a main dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You agreed to 50 euro charge beforehand and asked for extra work to be done which took 2 hours, can't see you getting your money refunded.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tts all well and good cleaning up electrical contacts and getting a car fixed but who looks like a cowboy when customer is back after 3 weeks roaring and shouting that the fault they paid to repair is back same as ever and looking for a free repair.

Main dealer for example won't get into cleaning up damaged contacts. Its new part or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Not a main dealer but a well known, family run garage. Very nice people to chat to and deal with on the phone, but you get the idea that getting invoices out as fast as possible takes priority over solving customers issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

A fair point. Which is why the man who had the car blocking up his limited space for three days didn't want any payment until I tested it for 2 or 3 weeks to make sure the issue didn't return.

Both he and his staffer could find no fault with the pump and suspected the issue was electrical or electronic. They are fairly certain that's that, but still want me to give it a while to test it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Ted222

A receptionist in a mechanic’s shop is the first red flag. You’re already one step away from whoever’s doing the repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You might be in for another fright in a couple of weeks when you get the bill from the local low tech. Sounds like he put a bit of work into finding the fault.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Fair enough. You seem to have found an old style garage not too focused on making his hourly labour rate for each and every hour but no large operation could operate like that.

Or else, you are going to get a bill for 3 days labour which could be saucy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭eggy81

Sounds like the new part wouldn’t have solved this problem though. They were looking at the pump when the relay controlling it was the issue if I understand correctly.

It's possibly connector at pump but not certain.

Not saying 1st garage were right buy they may not be rip off merchants either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement